These three-ingredient butter cookies taste like the ones sold in the cookie tins! Golden, crunchy, and delicious cookies made with only three ingredients!
I have been told these cookies taste like the ones from Costco! And I agree, they resemble the butter cookies sold in the metal tins, VERY MUCH! This batch makes plenty, so if you are making Holiday cookies as gifts, the big batch will come in handy, and so will your freezer if you ever do decide to keep them ALL! Once the cookie batter is ready, the dough is shaped into log shapes of your choice (I went with round and prism style) and chilled before slicing and baking. My mother-in-law rolled out her dough to make shapes so either way will work as long as the thickness stays moderate. A super simple cookie recipe to try if you favor those Danish butter cookies!
Also, check out our Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies.
Ingredients for 3-ingredient butter cookies:
- 4 sticks of unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup of sugar
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
How to make homemade 3-ingredient butter cookies:
1. To begin, in a large mixing bowl beat the butter and sugar at high speed until pale and fluffy (about 3-5 minutes.)
2. Then, mix in the flour at low speed until the mixture resembles large crumbs. Farther more, lightly knead by hand until the dough comes together.
3. After that, transfer the dough to a work surface and cut into three equal parts. Shape each portion into a long thin log (either circle or rectangular shape.) then, rap and place into the freezer for 30 minutes or until firm to slice.
4. Pre-heat oven to 350° F. Once the dough has hardened, slice 1/4″ thick slices and place onto a baking sheet. After, sprinkle tops with a generous amount of granulated sugar and bake for 20-25 minutes or until centers look white and edges look golden.
Do I have to freeze the butter cookie dough?
If you are making cookies from logs then yes! It’s important to work with chilled dough at this stage as the fresh dough isn’t as stable and firm to slice.
Can I use salted butter?
I would recommend using either half of unsalted butter and half of the salted butter or just one stick of salted one because the last thing you would want is overly salted cookies.
Can I freeze these butter cookies?
Yes, once baked let the cookies cool and store in an airtight zip-lock bag. I also think slicing and freezing the cookie dough before baking could work too.
Let us know when you make this recipe!
Leave a comment, rate it, and tag pics #alyonascooking on Instagram.
3 Ingredient Butter Cookies
- 4 sticks of unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large mixing bowl beat the butter and sugar over high speed until pale and fluffy (about 3-5 minutes.)
- Mix in the flour over low speed until mixture resembles large crumbs. Lightly knead by hand until dough comes together.
- Transfer dough to a work surface and cut into three equal parts. Shape each portion into a long thin log (either circle or rectangular shape.) Wrap and place into the freezer for 30 minutes or until firm to slice.
- Pre-heat oven to 350°. Once the dough has hardened slice 1/4" thick slices and place onto a baking sheet, sprinkle tops with a generous amount of granulated sugar and bake for 20-25 minutes or until centers look white and edges look golden.