Birds milk dessert is a thickened sour cream jello topped with a chocolate ganache and often served in Russian weddings or events. It’s super easy and pretty!
This was a creation from my Bird’s Milk Cake, which I simply omitted the cake layers to make into parfait cups! It’s a brilliant and easy way to feed crowds of people and looks irresistible! You won’t detect any sour cream in this layered dessert and it makes the perfect sized desserts to pick up on a whim with clean-up done easily (thanks to the disposable dessert cups!) These parfaits are popular in Russian weddings and I’ve even been requested to make them for special events! Similar to a Panna cotta in appearance, I’ve been told these taste way better! Make these desserts for your next party or special event!
Birds Milk Jello:
- 2 lbs Sour Cream
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 15 oz condensed milk
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 packets Knox Gelatine
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup heavy cream
How to Make Birds Milk:
- Beat the sour cream and sugar for 15 minutes.
- Add condensed milk and beat five more minutes.
- Meanwhile in a small saucepan whisk togther the Gelatine and milk mixture until it comes to a boil. Add the butter and melt thoroughly, whisking non-stop. Remove from heat and slowly beat into the sour cream mixture beating two more minutes (mixture will get runny.)
- Evenly pour the mixture into mini dessert cups and refrigerate until firm (3-4 hours.)
To Make Chocolate Layer:
- Microwave cream until boiling. Pour over chocolate chips and allow to sit a few minutes. Whisk until ganache comes together and slightly cool.
- Evenly pour over set jello cups and keep refrigerated untl serving.
Nutrition per serving
What’s Bird’s Milk?
Birds milk is sour cream jello. It’s thickened with gelatin and like a milk soufflé, it’s typically covered in chocolate like the Russian candies.
How does Bird’s milk taste?
Bird’s milk tastes like a thick and firm mouse which is decadent and similar to a milk soufflé. A Chocolate layer is commonly seen on bird milk desserts and different flavors can easily be incorporated to the jello mix before it firms up.
How much is an envelope of Gelatin?
An envelope of unflavored gelatin contains a little over 2 teaspoons. If using bulk gelatin a tablespoon may be substituted when recipes call for a package or envelope of unflavored gelatin.
How do you make a Birds Milk Cake?
To make the cake version of this check out my Birds Milk Cake Recipe.
What toppings go best on Bird’s Milk?
- Crushed nuts
- Fresh Raspberries
- A layer of flavored jello for the chocolate ganache
- Top with fresh raspberries, nuts or a layer of flavored jello for the chocolate ganache.
- Don’t have disposable cups? Pour into a large serving dish or pyrex pan!
- Make the day before for best firm results!
- For a lighter dessert skip the chocolate ganache!