I love this chocolate ice cream recipe! This homemade version has eggs but no cooking any custards! The kitchen aid does the churning and the results are divine!
A good vanilla ice cream or cookies and cream recipe is a must, but chocolate ice cream makes it into the family of classic ice cream flavors too! Cocoa powder gives plenty of chocolate flavor so no melting any chocolate bars or cooking any egg custards! This egg technique is awesome and I still enjoy it even when I skip the eggs. This recipe is my go-to for a flavor packed classic chocolate ice cream recipe!
Can I make Chocolate ice cream without an ice cream maker?
Nothing like churned homemade ice cream! Taking shortcuts won’t give you that authentic taste so please invest in an ice cream maker and churn your cream! I love my Kitchen-aid ice cream attachment and love that I saved my counter top by a tad bit of space by purchasing an attachment (that’s supposed to be kept in the freezer anyways) than purchasing a new plug in unit.
Is it safe to eat raw eggs in ice cream?
I haven’t had any salmonella issues with my ice cream batches. The eggs in the ice cream go through freezing point anyway, so it shouldn’t be a big problem unless you have encountered problems with raw egg consummation. However, if this seems to be an issue just pasteurize and cool your eggs before proceeding with the recipe.
How long should I churn ice cream for in my ice cream maker?
If your ice cream equipment and batter is properly prepared, no longer than a 30 minute mark is recommended. After 30 minutes your batter can start melting and your ice cream maker can lose it’s cold state.
How do I make my ice cream less or more creamier?
The formula is simple. Ice cream consists of cream and milk. More cream = more creamy consistency. Less cream = less creamy and more light tasting.
Handy Ice cream equipment:
Chocolate Ice Cream Recipe
- Kitchen aid ice cream attachment
Chocolate ice cream batter
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
How to make Chocolate Ice cream
- Beat eggs and sugar for 5 minutes, until thick and pale. Mix in the cocoa powder and beat until creamy. Add the cream, milk and vanilla until blended. Place batter into the fridge and chill at least 4 hours.
- Pour batter into your ice cream maker and churn for 30 minutes. Ice cream will look gritty at this stage.
- Transfer ice cream into a container and freeze until firm or enjoy as a soft serve ice cream.