This is how to make Broccoli Cheese Soup in as quick as 10-minutes!! Simple ingredients tons of flavor and way better than canned cream of broccoli soup! This broccoli soup will be so handy for dinner or lunch in a breeze! Serve with a hot grilled sandwich or ladle into a bread bowl!
Want more cheddar? Try our Panera Broccoli Cheddar Soup that has both processed cheese and grated cheddar for the BEST Broccoli Cheese soup recipe!
Broccoli Cheese Soup
I’m a fan of cheese entrees! A little cream or cheese enhances almost any dish! I also favor quick and easy recipes for dinner or lunch in a cinch because feeding a large family plus homeschooling can be pretty time consuming on its own. Which are why easy recipes are crucial at times! Speaking of easy, this broccoli soup is one of the easiest soup recipes to make from scratch! It was the perfect bowl of creamy hot soup on this cool and sunny winter day. We served this with oven-baked ham and cheese sliders (with a poppy seed topping) and this was one, scrumptious meal!
Wintertime makes soup season so much more cozy and comforting and if you prepare a steaming hot bowl of soup in less than 10 minutes, tell me that’s not a bonus score! By the way, this makes a great slow-cooker recipe too for the moms on the go! And the crunchy onion chips add the perfect crunch to this creamy soup! Use what you have for the base (broth, half and half, heavy cream, or milk) including cheddar cheese if you don’t have Velveeta but make this soup because it’s delicious!
FAQ for Broccoli Cheese Soup:
Can I use Milk?
Absolutely! Milk, heavy cream, half and half, and chicken or vegetable broth can all be used in making this soup. Adjust the salt accordingly as packaged broth can vary in sodium levels. I like to use chicken bullion powder as it’s more convenient for me and allows me to control my sodium levels.
How To Make Gluten-Free Broccoli Soup?
To make gluten-free broccoli cheese soup simply use cornstarch or gluten-free flour when making the roux.
Can I use Fresh Broccoli?
This recipe works quickest with frozen broccoli. To make with fresh broccoli cooking time will take slightly longer as frozen broccoli has already been lightly cooked (blanched) and is ready to use.
To use fresh broccoli: steam the broccoli for 4 minutes before adding to the simmering soup or cook with the soup a few minutes longer to desired tenderness.
Can I make it Vegan?
Use Olive oil to replace the butter and diary-free milk such as almond milk. To substitute the cheese simply use vegan cheese or nutritional yeast for the cheese flavor.
I don’t have processed cheese can I use Cheddar cheese?
2 cups of freshly grated cheddar cheese can be used for the 2 cups of cubed processed cheese.
Can I add other Veggies?
Since this is a 10-minute broccoli soup, adding any additional raw veggies may require longer cooking times. If you are using frozen veggies then they can be used as instructed and require no additional cooking as there already blanched.
How to make broccoli cheese soup in the slow-cooker?
How To Make Broccoli Cheese Soup in the Crockpot: stir together the flour and equal parts of water to make a slurry then dump everything into a slow-cooker and cook on low for 4 hours.
Is this Keto-Friendly?
Since keto is a low-carb diet you want to use cornstarch or gluten-free flour to eliminate the extra carbs. Cheese and good fats are okay! If you swap out the flour for cornstarch this broccoli soup will be keto-friendly. Want more Keto Recipes? Try our popular Keto Creamy Spinach Chicken with rave reviews!
Tips for Broccoli Cheese Soup:
- Don’t overcook broccoli! It will lose its vibrant green color and can turn into mush! Add it towards the end.
- Processed cheese won’t curd, like grated cheddar cheese so be careful not to overcook with grated cheese.
- Make it gluten-free by using cornstarch or gluten-free flour.
- Skip the roux and stir together the flour and equal parts of water to make a slurry then dump everything into a slow-cooker and cook on low for 4 hours.
More Broccoli Recipes:
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup (Panera Bread Copycat)
- Broccoli Salad
- Outback Broccoli and Cheese
- Bacon Broccoli Salad With A Creamy Honey Dressing
How To Make Easy Broccoli Cheese Soup (in 10 minutes!):
Easy Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 5-quart pot
Broccoli Cheese Soup:
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp onions (chopped)
- 5 Tbsp flour
- 1 lb cubed processed cheese (Velveeta)
- 5 1/2 cups half and half
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp chicken bullion
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried onion
- 10 oz frozen broccoli
- French's French Fried Onions (optional garnish)
How To Make Easy Broccoli Cheese Soup:
- Fry the onion in butter in a medium-sized pot for 1 minute over high. Whisk in the flour then add 1 1/2 cups of half and half and scrape off any debris. Whisk in the cheese and stir until mostly melted.
- Add the remaining ingredients except for the french fried onion chips and bring to boil stirring often. Simmer until broccoli is heated thoroughly.
- Ladle into soup bowls and sprinkle with french fried onions. Serve.
- Processed Cheese** can be substituted with 2 cups of grated cheddar cheese.
- To Use Fresh Broccoli: steam for 4 minutes before adding to the soup or simmer in the soup for 5-8 minutes.
- Gluten-Free: use cornstarch for the flour.
- Mustard powder: Use 1 tsp of prepared yellow mustard for ground mustard.