A German Chocolate Cake with a cream cheese frosting and fresh berries doesn’t get any easier! This recipe starts with a German Chocolate Cake Mix for the most deliciously moist chocolate cake layers and then it’s topped with a Cool Whip Cream Cheese frosting, blueberries, and raspberries! It’s the most luscious chocolate cake recipe that will become an instant favorite!
German Chocolate Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
I’m not the one to make desserts or a cake from a box, but it wasn’t until my sister-in-law brought this chocolate cake to my husband’s side of the family. It was super soft, looked homemade, and was covered in a homemade cream cheese frosting and fresh blueberries. When I had asked her for the recipe, it turns out it was a boxed German Cake Mix and I didn’t even know! It’s so different than a regular box cake mix, which is why I was caught off guard!
It’s incredibly easy to put together and the best part, it looks completely homemade and is super-moist and tender! I’ve made it multiple times by now and have raved about it to my family, then I would get asked if the recipe is on my blog? So that’s when I took the plunge and decided it was time to share one of my go-to quick desserts, The German Chocolate Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting! This Chocolate cake will impress family and guests so plan it for your next get together (its a super easy one too!)
How to Make a German Chocolate Cake with a Cream Cheese Frosting:
Chocolate Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- (2) 8-inch cake pans
Chocolate Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 15.25 oz German Chocolate Cake Mix
- 8 oz Cream Cheese (soft)
- 1/2 cup Condensed milk
- 8 oz Cool Whip
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup raspberries
How to make Chocolate Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Make the Chocolate Cake per box instructions using two round 8-inch pans. Cool.
- Make the frosting by beating the softened cream cheese and condensed milk until smooth (1 minute.) Beat in the Cool Whip and mix well.
- Assemble the cake. Trim off the domed tops and crumble them for the garnish later. Set aside. Place trimmed side down and frost then top with half of the berries.
- Top with the other cake layer trimmed side down and frost the sides and top.
- Garnish with the leftover crumbs and top with the remaining berries. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.
Nutrition per serving
Can I make Homemade Chocolate Cake?
A homemade moist chocolate cake will work for this recipe as long as it makes two round cake layers preferably not too high. The thicker the chocolate layers the more dense the cake layers can be. Here is a Super-Moist Chocolate Cake Recipe.
What can I substitute for Condensed milk?
Condensed milk is a thick milk syrup that is very sweet. To substitute Condensed milk use 1/2 of powdered sugar.
Why is my Cool Whip Runny?
Runny Cool Whip is a result of unproperly thawed Cool Whip. If you beat it partially frozen it will turn runny, which is why it’s crucial to wait until it’s thawed completely. The properly thawed cool whip should be soft when you run your finger to the bottom. There shouldn’t be any cold and thick chunks of frosting.
How to Quickly Thaw Cool Whip?
- Option 1: To quickly thaw Cool Whip place on the counter for a few hours or until Cool Whip is soft (not too warm or it can melt.)
- Option 2: Microwave on defrost mode in 30-second intervals until soft. Stir after every interval, don’t overheat the Cool Whip.
- Option 3: Place in the fridge overnight if the time allows.
How to quickly thaw Cream Cheese?
The quickest way to bring cream cheese to room temperature is to microwave it.
To quickly soften an 8 oz Package of cream cheese: microwave for 30 seconds.
To quickly thaw 4 oz of cream cheese: microwave for 15 seconds.
Ingredients for German Chocolate Cake with a Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 (15.25 oz) package German Chocolate Cake Mix
- 8 oz Cream Cheese
- 8 oz Cool Whip
- 1/2 can Condensed Milk
- fresh berries (blueberries and raspberries)
- Make your own Homemade Chocolate Cake Layers!
- To quickly softened cream cheese, simply microwave 30 seconds!
- Cool Whip thaws quickly on the countertop!
- Sub 1/2 cup powdered sugar for the condensed milk.