Making a homemade Burrito Bowl is easy, healthy, and better than Chipotle! Burrito bowls are everything you’d have wrapped in a tortilla! Layered with rice, beans, fresh salsa, and Creamy Jalapeno Sauce, your sure to clean your plate!
Easy Burrito Bowl
Why go to Chipotle when rice and beans are one of the most frugal dinners to make? Burrito Bowls are the easiest plates to fix! Save money and make-your-own Chipotle Burrito Bowls! You can customize your veggies and proteins to make a chicken, steak, or Vegetarian burrito bowl!
I’ve used brown rice for a healthier alternative to white rice but whole grains like quinoa or couscous can easily be added. Plus at home, it can be packed with extra of everything because who can resist fresh salsa or unlimited creamy jalapeno sauce? And it’s much cheaper than having dinner at Chipotle!
These burrito bowls are so tasty not to mention the raves I’ve received! It’s a total score when you can throw an easy meal together that tastes phenomenal and is a healthy dinner. Topped with our creamy Jalapeño Sauce or Southwest Chipotle Sauce it’s a was an instant family hit! You can be sure it’s added to our favorites!
How To Make a Burrito Bowl:
- 12-inch skillet
- 4 cups cooked* rice
- 1 quart black beans (with juices)
- 15 oz diced tomatoes (with juices)
- 1/4 cup taco seasoning
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 tomatoes (diced)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp cilantro (chopped)
How To Make Burrito Bowls:
- Fry onion in oil for 2 minutes. Add the black beans, diced tomatoes, taco seasoning, and salt. Simmer until slightly thickened (5 min.) Set aside.
- Toss together the fresh salsa ingredients and set aside.
- Serve with chips or tortillas.
- Cooked Rice: 2 cups of uncooked rice makes 4 cups of cooked rice. See how to make my stovetop rice recipe.
- To Make Brown Rice: In a medium saucepan saute 2 cups of uncooked brown rice in 2 Tbsp oil. Add 1 tsp salt and 4 cups of hot tap water. Bring to a boil then cover and simmer over low for 45 min. Brown rice takes 10-15 minutes longer than white rice and calls for 1/2 cup more of water.
- Oil- use coconut oil for a healthy substitute.
- Black beans- make your own from dried beans by cooking them in the slow cooker the night before.
Nutrition per serving
What is a Burrito Bowl?
A burrito bowl has all the fillings a burrito would have only without the tortillas. Usually layered over rice, a burrito bowl includes all your favorite toppings such as rice, beef, grilled chicken, beans, lettuce, salsa, guacamole, beans, cheese, and sour cream!
Avoiding carbs? Simply swap out the rice for shredded lettuce instead.
How Do You Make Burrito Bowls?
Like a Chipotle Burrito Bowl, you basically layer your plate with all your favorite Mexican flavors. Start with a rice base then layer your way up with protein (beans or meat), salsa, and cheese or sour cream.
Make it Vegan by omitting the dairy and meat. Guacamole, green herbs, or whole grains like quinoa would make great add-ins.
Can I Make It With Chicken or Beef?
Marinated Steak slices or grilled chicken pieces will make great additions to any burrito bowl!
Toppings for Burrito Bowls?
You can make all of your favorite toppings ahead of time for easier meal prep, however, shortcuts like store-bought prepared beans or salsas are always time savers when in a hurry. Here is a complete list of toppings for your next fiesta!
- Picco de Gallo
- black beans
- pinto beans
- sour cream
- rice or grains
- fresh salsa
- Carne asada
- Baja fish
- grilled chicken
- ground beef or steak
- chopped onion
- limes or lemon
How to Cook Dried Black Beans?
Not a fan of canned beans from the store? Save money and make your own! Here’s how I made my beans for this burrito bowl.
- Place 1 pound of dried beans into a crockpot. Cover with 8 cups of water. Add 1/2 Tablespoon of the following spices; onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, and dried parsley.
- Cook overnight on low for 8 hours. Add 1 tsp salt at the end.
Can I use Crushed Tomatoes?
Yes! Crushed tomatoes won’t be as chunky as diced tomatoes. However, if you have neither freshly diced tomatoes will work too.
What Rice is Best for Burrito Bowls?
The most flavorful rice to use as your base would be long grain rice like Jasmine. Brown rice would be much healthier as it’s not stripped from its nutrients like white rice. Sprouted brown rice is even better-for-you. I used brown rice in the photos shown.
Can you Make Ahead?
Burrito bowls can be made ahead which is a great dish to choose for meal prep! Since you make most of your toppings ahead of time it’s the perfect meal prep option. Simply reheat as needed.
- Save money and cook your own black beans!
- Make fresh salsa or buy store-bought!
- Make it vegetarian by omitting any meat.
- Swap out sour cream and cheese for guacamole to make it Vegan.