Not your Chili’s or Chinese egg rolls! These crispy Southwest Egg Rolls are addictive! Flour tortillas are filled with black beans, chicken, salsa, and cheese to make a delicious Southwestern snack!
These Southwestern egg rolls are addictive! It was a creation I made when I wanted southwest rolls minus all the crazy fillings and ingredients recipes called for! This recipe works for both canned chicken or cooked chicken breasts! I’m so glad I wrote this recipe down years ago because it’s the only way I make Southwest rolls!
It’s also a great way to use up canned chicken in a tasty way! I usually buy my uncooked tortillas in the fridge section of Walmart, but some Costco’s sell them in bulk. Go an extra mile to feed a bigger crowd these pleasing appetizers and cut each roll-up into 4 equal pieces (once in half then each half into two diagonal pieces.) Serve these as a finger food appetizer or leave them whole and eat as a main dish entree!
Not Into deep-fried food? These Southwest Egg Rolls can be baked in the oven!
Can I make this with Canned Chicken?
Yes! Use 2 (12.5 oz) cans of chicken breast meat.
I don’t have uncooked tortillas?
Regular flour tortillas will work for making these Southwest Egg Rolls.
Can I use Egg Roll Wrappers?
Wonton wrappers can be used for the flour tortillas.
What sauces go Best?
Can I Bake Southwest Egg Rolls?
Yes! Spray each side of the rolls with cooking spray or brush with oil. Lay seam down onto a lined baking sheet and bake at 425°F for 20 minutes.
Tips for The Best Southwest Egg Rolls:
- Roll using regular flour tortillas or egg roll wrappers if needed.
- Can use rotisserie chicken leftovers or canned chicken!
- Bake them for a no-oil mess!
- Fill with any additional veggies like corn, wilted spinach, red pepper, or jalapenos!
- Dip into sour cream, guacamole, or flavored ranch dressing!
Other Tasty Appetizers:
How To Make Southwest Chicken Egg Rolls:
Southwest Egg Rolls
- 12" deep skillet
Southwest Egg Rolls:
- 15 oz black beans (drained)
- 3 cups Mexican Cheese
- 1 1/2 lbs cooked chicken breast (or two 12.5 oz cans, drained)
- 2/3 cup salsa
- 4 oz cream cheese (softened)
- 12 uncooked flour tortillas*
How To Make Southwest Egg Rolls:
- In a large bowl mix all the ingredients together except for the tortillas.
- Place a heaping 2 Tbsp of filling onto the bottom of each tortilla. Brush water around the edges and rollup.
- Deep fry in oil until all sides are golden brown and cooked thoroughly.
- uncooked tortillas* can be found in the fridge section of Walmart by the cheeses. Can use regular flour tortillas just omit brushing the edges with water and secure with a toothpick before frying.
- Oven Directions: Spray each side of the rolls with cooking spray or brush with oil. Lay seam down onto a lined baking sheet and bake at 425°F for 20 minutes.