These freezer breakfast sandwiches are like McDonald’s Egg McMuffins or the breakfast sandwiches you would order at Dunkin Donuts! They are made ahead and prepared just like the drive-thru breakfast sandwiches!
Restaurants like McDonald’s and Dunkin Donuts freeze their egg patties to serve you! Find out what egg pan I use to recreate the best freezer breakfast sandwiches that you can make in bulk and freeze!
Freezer breakfast sandwiches are one of the most convenient breakfast staples to have in your freezer! Even if you don’t feel rushed they’re a huge shortcut to breakfast! And what better way to bring these to use for those lazy mornings when your family sleeps in? I’m a big fan of freezer breakfasts like our freezer biscuits and sausage gravy that freezes so well because let’s get real, you won’t always want to make breakfast from scratch! They also make a great gift for mothers with newborn babies or sick loved ones! Make a batch, pop them in the freezer and they will come into good use later!
How do you make eggs like McDonald’s?
McDonald’s, Dunkin Donuts, and other fast food restaurants use frozen and thawed egg patties in their breakfast sandwiches to serve customers. They come frozen in boxes to stay fresh and later get used for sandwiches, made to order. Without this kind of fast food system, it would merely be impossible to serve thousands! The good news is, that you can replicate the fast food system right at home by making your own make-ahead freezer breakfast sandwiches without the commercial equipment! Baking eggs with water ensures moist egg patties like these chain-style eggs, so see how it’s made!
In order to make these breakfast sandwiches you need a proper pan for the egg patties. I used an English muffin baking pan, which is shallow and makes the perfect-sized eggs for a standard English muffin sandwich. The depth is perfect for this pan as you can pop out the eggs without lots of damage, whereas deeper pans can be harder to remove. Check out my egg patties for freezer sandwiches post to get full visuals on how it’s done!
How to make freezer-friendly breakfast sandwiches:
Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches
- English Muffin Pan
- 6 eggs
- 3/4 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 English Muffins
- 6 slices American Cheese
- 6 slices Ham or Candian Bacon
How to make Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches:
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly spray an English muffin tin. Crack an egg into each muffin tin and break the yolk with a fork. Pour 2 tablespoons of water onto each egg and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bake for 8 minutes. Cool and set aside.
- Cut each English muffin in half and layer with egg patty, cheese, and ham. Wrap each sandwich in plastic ceramic wrap and place it into a freezer bag. Keep in the fridge for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 2 months.
Nutrition per serving
What ingredients are in the Egg McMuffin?
McDonalds Egg McMuffin is 300 calories and has the following list of ingredients:
- English muffin
- Canadian Bacon
- Pasteurized American Cheese Slices
Get creative with these breakfast sandwich add-ins:
- freshly sliced tomatoes
- sriracha sauce
- Tobasco hot sauce
- sautéed mushrooms and onions
- bell peppers
How to reheat breakfast sandwiches:
There is three ways to reheat breakfast sandwiches;
- To Reheat from frozen.
- Reheat from thawed.
- Reheat on the grill (ideal for camping trips.)
Follow the directions below for reheating breakfast sandwiches.
For campfire re-heating, simply double wrap in aluminum foil and place on the grill for 3-5 minutes or until hot.
How to microwave a frozen breakfast sandwich?
There are two ways to prepare freezer breakfast sandwiches, the oven or microwave.
For Microwave cooking instructions:
- Wrap the Sandwich in a paper towel and microwave on defrost mode for 1 minute and 30 seconds, flipping once in between.
- Turn the sandwich over, again and microwave on HIGH for 55 seconds or until hot. Add an additional 10 seconds if needed. Let the sandwich sit for 1 minute.
Note: Ceramic Plastic wrap is safe to microwave so the sandwiches can be heated in plastic wrap instead of paper towels. However, aluminum foil is NOT to be used in the microwave at any time!
How to bake a frozen breakfast sandwich?
For Oven Cooking Instructions:
- Thaw the sandwich completely and place the split open onto aluminum foil. Wrap and bake at 350°F for 20 minutes or until hot.
- Note: To thaw quickly place into the microwave on defrost mode for 1 minute and 30 seconds, flipping once in-between.
How to microwave a thawed breakfast sandwich?
To microwave thawed sandwiches:
- Wrap the sandwich in a paper towel and microwave over HIGH for 55 seconds, flipping once in between. Let the sandwich sit for 1 minute.
Can I use croissants or biscuits for the English muffins?
Absolutely! Croissants, bagels, or homemade biscuits are all breads that can be used for the English muffins, in this recipe.
- Swap out the English muffins with bagels, croissants, or homemade biscuits!
- Don’t have ham? Make them plain egg and cheese or add cooked bacon instead!
- Thaw overnight for quicker heating later.
- Sprinkle some diced peppers or bacon bits on the eggs before baking for extra flavor!
More make-ahead breakfast ideas: