Baked salmon fish in a creamy garlic dill sauce! So juicy and flaky! The mayonnaise makes a simple marinade for this baked salmon recipe that gets cooked in the oven in 20 minutes! Put this on the top list of salmon recipes to try, you’ll love this!
Salmon is healthy, enjoy the benefits of eating salmon for its omega-3 fatty acids and rich protein! This oily fish is juicy and flaky once baked! Need more salmon recipes? Try our Salmon Patties, Honey Glazed Salmon, Smoked Salmon (with a brown sugar rub), and Oven-baked Salmon with Alfredo Sauce! Salmon is so easy to make and can be enjoyed raw if cured or flash-frozen!
Baked Salmon Recipe:
This is one of the best ways to prepare salmon! It doesn’t get easier than smearing prepared dressing over fish and seasoning the mayonnaise with fresh dill, crushed garlic, and simple salt and pepper. Anyone can cook this whole fillet at home and when it’s done baking it looks like a five-star seafood dish (that was so easy to make!) Top it with lemon slices and herbs for a flavorful dinner!
Best Types Of Salmon To Buy:
Wild caught Salmon is the best! Atlantic Salmon is easily available at most fish markets. Another salmon known in the US is Sockeye Salmon (red salmon.) If you accidentally brought home a steelhead fillet you can still bake it as salmon, only it won’t be as fatty but more delicate and flaky once baked. Pink salmon is the smallest of pacific salmon species. When buying fresh salmon make sure it’s vibrant in color, check the dates, and avoid fillets with any brown spots.
Best Salmon Marinade:
The key to juicy fish is the sauce for salmon. Some ways to season salmon are with a garlic butter sauce or olive oil. Because mayonnaise is a prepared food, all you have to do is spread it over the fish and it doesn’t get as messy. Mayonnaise is the perfect cream sauce for salmon because it already has the oil and tang right in the creamy dressing! Marinated salmon couldn’t be easier!
- Salmon Fillet- any freshwater or saltwater salmon that is available will work. Start with a thoroughly washed and patted dry whole salmon fillet. I leave the skin on when baking salmon. You want the salmon color to be a vibrant pink-orange.
- Mayonnaise- the best salmon recipes are usually covered in mayo or alfredo sauce. The mayo top makes this fish so juicy and flavorful!
- Fresh Garlic- lots of fresh garlic is the key to a flavorful mayo! Peel and crush lots of garlic cloves for maximum flavor.
- Seasoning- basic salt and pepper are all you need to spice up some fish.
- Dill- this green herb goes so well with fresh garlic and salmon! Herb and mayo topping is scrumptious!
How To Bake Salmon:
The key to how to cook salmon, in the oven is the right temperature. When cooking Salmon in the oven you want to bake salmon at a high temperature of 400°F or more. Cooking salmon over low heat can dry out the fish. How long to bake salmon? Four hundred is a safe temperature for salmon, bake salmon at 400°F for 20 minutes. Salmon is done when the internal temperature reads 145°F.
- Wash and pat dry salmon with paper towels.
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper or foil.
- Place the whole salmon fillet into the center of the pan.
- Spoon the mayonnaise over the salmon fillet and top with fresh dill, garlic, salt, and pepper. Stir together and spread over the top of the fish. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Bake salmon covered with foil for 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving dish and serve.
What To Serve with Salmon?
Need some salmon dinner ideas? Here are some salmon side dishes to eat with salmon including what to do with leftover salmon. The benefits of salmon are many don’t let any go to waste!
- Wrap leftovers up into a taco or sandwich, and use lettuce leaves for a low-carb option
- I love salmon with some mashed potatoes, baby potatoes, or potato wedges! You can even bake a whole Idaho potato!
- Serve with pasta or noodles
- Fresh tomato and cucumber salad is always a favorite! This cucumber crab salad was a hit at a wedding paired with salmon!
- Stovetop rice
- Steamed vegetables like broccoli or asparagus
How long can salmon stay in the fridge? Raw salmon is good until the expiration date on your package. If you aren’t using it within that time, freeze it until needed then thaw it completely before prepping. Once the salmon is oven-roasted you can keep it in the fridge for up to 4 days. To store leftovers place any leftovers into an air-tight food container to keep any fridge odors out. This recipe for salmon is so good, I doubt you’ll have leftovers!
How To Reheat Salmon:
Baked salmon should be reheated in a pan with a small amount of water to add moisture. Wrap the pan with foil so it steams the fish rather than drying it out in the open. Bake it at 350°F for about 8 minutes. Another way to revive leftovers is to reheat them over the stovetop in a skillet with a splash of water. Avoid microwaving fish as that can dry it out.
Can You Cook Salmon from Frozen?
You can freeze salmon, however, it’s best to thaw it completely before using it in this recipe.
How Many Calories?
One serving of this salmon fish is 358 calories. This salmon serving is for 6 equal pieces of a 2-pound salmon fillet.
Tips For Oven Salmon:
- Cook salmon covered to keep the fish as juicy and moist as possible.
- Can you eat salmon skin? Salmon skin is good for you! I like to keep the salmon skin on to keep the moisture in and for it to keep its shape. To remove the skin, simply get a grip on the edge of the skin and gently pull it off or use a sharp knife to peel it off.
- Small salmon fillets cook faster (about 8-12 minutes), the cooking time for this recipe is for a whole salmon fillet.
- The best way to tell if salmon is cooked is to look at the color. You know the salmon is done baking if the flesh turned pink from red. It should easily flake and turn translucent in color.
- Want air fryer salmon? Slice the salmon into smaller fillets with the skin on. Place into the basket and air fry at 450˚F for 7-8 minutes, depending on the thickness.
- Frozen salmon is best thawed if making this recipe.
- For a crispy cheese crust, add parmesan or panko breadcrumbs.
Have you tried this Baked Salmon recipe? I would love to hear from you, be sure to leave a review down below!
How To Make Salmon:
Baked Salmon With Garlic Mayo
- 1 13x9 baking pan
- 1 sheet of parchment paper (to line pan)
- 1 sheet of foil (to cover salmon when baking)
- 2 lbs fresh salmon fillet (skin on)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (slightly heaping)
- 8 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 5 oz fresh dill (chopped)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Wash and pat dry the salmon fillet. Place onto a 13x9 baking dish, lined with parchment paper. Spoon mayo over the top with the remaining ingredients. Stir and spread out the topping. Cover and marinade overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Bake the Salmon covered with foil for 20 minutes. Squeeze one lemon over the top before serving.