This Chick Fil A Grilled Chicken Sandwich is all homemade from juicy marinated and grilled chicken breasts to the Multigrain Brioche Bun. My neighbor said, “these surpassed Chick Fil A!” Make it into a Grilled chicken club sandwich by adding Colby Jack cheese slices and bacon then drizzle everything with Honey Roasted BBQ sauce!
We have some favorite Chick-Fil-A, Menu copycats that you might love! Try our Copycat Honey Roasted BBQ Sauce, Whole Wheat Multigrain Buns, and Chick Fil A Sauce! We are currently working on the original Chick Fil A Chicken Sandwich copycat so keep your eye out for that!
It’s here the Chick Fil A Grilled Chicken Sandwich in a super fluffy Multigrain Brioche Bun and all the deluxe toppings you could ask for in a Chick Fil A Sandwich! I’m so excited because it tastes like the real deal, and I share my copycat Chick Fil A Honey Roasted BBQ Sauce that you need to make specifically for this club sandwich!
Chick Fil A Grilled Chicken Sandwich
If it weren’t for my love for Chick Fil A Grilled Chicken Club Sandwich where would this recipe be? By the way, if you’re searching for the Grilled chicken sandwich, it’s the same thing only without the bacon and cheese, which in my opinion makes a sandwich recipe taste 10x better. But it’s about the juicy marinated grilled chicken breasts and Honey Roasted BBQ Sauce, am I right?
Whether you choose to add the Colby Jack cheese or bacon, this grilled chicken recipe alone is amazing! I mean you cut it up into strips to top a salad or make Chick Fil A, Nuggets for that matter, but you need to make this marinade for a superb boneless breast of chicken.
In addition, this is no random Chick Fil A Chicken recipe, I literally went through the ingredients to bring this grilled chicken recipe together and I must say it’s one of a kind!
Chick Fil A Multigrain Bun Recipe
And just a little insight you can make my Whole Wheat Multigrain Buns and Oven-Baked Bacon days in advance to later shorten prep just cool and freeze everything until needed (perfect make-ahead dinner!) Talk about making it at home and saving money because if you’re wondering how much a Chick Fil A Sandwich costs-it’s $10.29 a meal!
Honey Roasted BBQ Sauce vs Chick Fil A Sauce
I want to inform you that the Chick Fil A Menu serves a collection of dipping sauces, and the sauce closest to the Chick Fil A Sauce is the Chick Fil A Honey Roasted BBQ Sauce. Don’t get confused with these two sauces, they are very similar. The Honey Roasted BBQ Sauce is smokier and was specifically designed for the Grilled Chicken Sandwich (off their menu) and the Chick-Fil-A Sauce has more notes of mustard and is slightly lighter in color.
Both Dipping sauces are sweet, smokey, tangy, and equally delicious.
What Is The Chick Fil A Chicken Sandwich?
The Chick Fil A Menu currently makes 6 signature chicken sandwiches of which are breaded and grilled. The love for these sandwiches is mostly the Chick Fil A Sauce that you can dip waffle fries, grilled nuggets, cobb salad, and the Chick Fil A Sandwich in! You can find the Chick Fil A Sauce Recipe here.
Chick Fil A Grilled Chicken Ingredients?
The ingredients for the Chick Fil A Grilled Chicken Club Sandwich are; chicken breast, water, apple cider vinegar, oil, corn starch, salt, yeast extract, sugar, chicken breast meat, chicken broth, dehydrated onion, dehydrated garlic, sea salt, cane molasses, spices, chicken fat, natural flavor (including smoke), lemon peel, red bell pepper, paprika, lemon juice concentrate, parsley, and vinegar.
My interpretation of the ingredients above? Use spice blends to shorten the list and home alternatives that will work the same. Here is my grilled chicken marinade:
- Chicken breasts- boneless and skinless chicken breasts, cut in half to make two thinner fillets out of each breast of meat.
- Water- to cover the chicken when marinating.
- baking soda- is my favorite way to tenderizer meat you need to pair it with white distilled vinegar to quench any bitterness!
- Apple Cider Vinegar- tenderizes and gives a distinct chicken flavor.
- Seasoned Salt- is an all-purpose seasoning that is great for enhancing chicken meat.
- Sugar- my secret ingredient for fried chicken! I love to add this in chicken breading and marinades where needed.
- Liquid Smoke- will help give that backyard smokey flavor without actually grilling.
- Lemon Pepper- works as the lemon peel.
- Mrs.Dash- has lemon juice powder and the oil of lemon in its spice blend.
- Parmesan cheese- is a great substitute for nutritional yeast (yeast extract substitute).
Note: This chicken marinade is ideal for grilling the same day. Since the meat tenderizer works in as quick as 20 minutes I wouldn’t leave it overnight since the meat can tear, if over-tenderized.
How To Make Grilled Chicken like Chick Fil A?
- First, make the chicken marinade. Combine all the marinating ingredients and soak the chicken breast meat in the marinade for 20 minutes.
- Pre-heat your grill over high heat.
- Toast your Multigrain buns (optional.)
- Drain the marinade from the chicken and grill the chicken breasts over high heat for 3-5 minutes on each side.
- Assemble grilled sandwiches by placing the leafy green lettuce on the bottom half of the bun. Top with tomatoes, grilled chicken, Colby Jack cheese, bacon, and top bun.
- Serve with Chick Fil A Honey Roasted BBQ Sauce
Can I Use Chicken Thighs?
Grilled chicken thighs will work great for this grilled chicken sandwich!
What Goes Into The Chick Fil A Grilled Chicken Sandwich?
The classic Grilled Chicken Sandwich is made with grilled chicken breast meat, multigrain brioche buns, green leaf lettuce, tomatoes, and served with a Honey Roasted BBQ Sauce. The Grilled Chicken Club Sandwich is made the same way with the addition of Colby Jack cheese and applewood smoked bacon.
Storing Homemade Chick Fil A Sandwiches:
Homemade grilled chicken sandwiches can be grilled and refrigerated up to 4 days in the fridge (if they last that long, this Chick Fil A, Recipe only lasted one night.)
Fried Chicken is best reheated in a toaster oven or conventional oven. However, since grilled chicken doesn’t have breading it’s more forgiving and be microwaved instead. For the best results reheat the chicken breasts separately before assembling grilled chicken sandwiches.
I usually end up assembling at least 10 sandwiches at a time and then just wrap any uneaten ones after lunch or dinner.
What Grill Did You Use?
My oven range has Cast Iron Reversible Grill Griddle that I use for grilling all my chicken pieces. You can use an outdoor grill or even a panini press with the grill grate side.
Grilling Tip: to get perfectly seared grill marks on your chicken always preheat your cast iron griddle over high heat before cooking the chicken. Avoid flipping more than once to get the grill marks to iron to the chicken meat.
How Long To Grill Chicken?
A Grilled Chicken Breast doesn’t take long to cook. Depending on your heating element it might take anywhere from 3-5 minutes on each side of the chicken breast (if on the thinner side and a thicker fillet may need more time.)
Your chicken is done when the meat thermometer reads 165°F.
Best Grilled Chicken Tips:
- This chicken breast recipe takes minutes to marinade thanks to the ultra-fast meat tenderizer (baking soda.)
- Always pre-heat your grill grates over high heat to get black grill marks, and so that the chicken breasts don’t stick.
- Serve your grilled chicken over a Wheat bun or roll for fewer calories and better nutrition.
- Make the Chick-Fil-A honey roasted BBQ sauce for this sandwich! It’s a must!
- Cook chicken breasts for 3-5 minutes on each side before flipping.
- Stack all the grilled chicken meat on a large plastic tray to catch any juices.
- Use boneless skinless chicken thighs for chicken breast meat.
- Cast Iron Reversible Grill Griddle– perfect to place over burners and cook inside.
- Nesting Mixing Bowls- are easy to clean and perfect for making marinates!
- Wire Whisk– for combining the marinade ingredients.
- 18x13 Sheet Pan– in case you want to make the Multigrain Brioche Buns.
- Instant Read Meat Thermometer for Cooking- if you are unsure about the chicken meat being done.
- Large Plastic Tray– to stack the grilled chicken meat on after frying.
- Metal Tongs– to remove grilled chicken from the grill.
Other Grilled Chicken Recipes:
- Grilled Chicken Kabobs
- Taco Bell Grilled Stuffed Burrito (Copycat)– can add grilled chicken strips.
- Grilled Chicken Melts
- Ready To Use Chicken Breast (Freezer Recipe)
How To Make Chick Fil A Grilled Chicken Sandwich:
Chick Fil A Grilled Chicken Sandwich
- 1 cast iron grill/griddle
- kitchen tongs
Grilled Chicken Marinade:
- 5 chicken breasts (sliced in half lengthwise)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 Tbsp white distilled vinegar
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp seasoned salt (Lawry's)
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp liquid smoke (hickory)
- 1 tsp lemon pepper
- 1 tsp Mrs. Dash
- 2 Tbsp parmesan cheese
- 1 lb oven-baked bacon
- 8 oz Colby Jack Cheese slices
- 1 head leafy green lettuce
- 2 tomatoes (sliced)
- Combine the chicken and marinade and allow the meat to tenderize for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the grill or griddle over high heat. Drain the marinade and grill chicken breasts on each side for about 3-5 minutes or until done.
- To assemble sandwiches place lettuce, tomatoes, grilled chicken, cheese, and bacon over a multigrain bun.
- Serve with Honey Roasted BBQ Sauce.
- Chicken can marinate for up to 4 hours at room temperature.
- Bacon and these Multigrain Whole Wheat buns freeze very well so these sandwiches make the perfect make-ahead meal.