Bologna Cabbage Salad
Bologna cabbage salad is a creamy cabbage salad my Ukrainian mother-in-law makes as a side dish. Although Roasted Potato Wedges and Pork Patties are great European main dish dinners, this cabbage salad can still be served to American or Russian dishes! I found this salad was devoured and loved by many when I had served it with grilled chicken on a warm fall day.
The mayonnaise works as an easy tart and creamy dressing that slightly wilts the cabbage the longer it sits (which is still a delicious next-day salad similar to coleslaw!) And if salads need to be short and fast use pre-shredded cabbage in a bag from the grocery store and toss it with the dressing before serving.
Bologna meat is cheap and a great way to add meat to cabbage for a heartier side. I’ve had a friend who used diced hot dogs for bologna in my Olivye Salad (potato salad with bologna) so you don’t have to run to a Russian Supermarket to find bologna.
Furthermore, any kielbasa, ham, or ring of meat would work great for this cabbage salad. It’s a cabbage salad recipe that differs from the vinegar-based ones and is so simple to make! You literally add mayo to the cabbage shreds and toss with bologna pieces and salt and pepper. You’d be surprised how delicious a cabbage salad could be from such simple ingredients! This would make a great salad recipe throughout winter or summer since cabbage is available year-round!
Is Cabbage Good For You?
The health benefits of cabbage are many! Cabbage is one of the most frugal vegetables and is an annual vegetable crop to grow! It can be pickled, fermented, braised (sauteed), and eaten raw. Cabbage is also rich in dietary fiber, Vitamin C, and K! It’s no wonder the Chinese cuisine ranks at 48% for world production in cabbage!
The cabbage plant is from the Brassica oleracea family of plant species. There are three main cultivar groups the cabbage is recognized in; white cabbage, red cabbage, and savoy cabbage with white cabbage being hard and firm. Savoy on the other hand is a crinkled-leaf cabbage that is softer.
- White Cabbage- choose a pale green or white cabbage for this salad. You want a firm head of cabbage. Savoy cabbage on the other hand is an Asian cabbage that is much more tender than red or white cabbage.
- Mayonnaise Dressing- use your favorite mayonnaise or make homemade mayonnaise for a healthier option.
- Bologna Meat- ham, kielbasa, or even cut-up hot dogs will work for the bologna here.
- Salt and Pepper- to season the cabbage salad. Go easy on the salt as mayonnaise is usually loaded with salt.
How To Make Bologna Cabbage Salad?
- Using a [eafl id="19209" name="Mandoline Slicer" text="Mandoline Slicer"], shred the cabbage.
- Dice the bologna meat into cubes.
- Toss together the shredded cabbage, bologna, mayonnaise dressing, and salt and pepper.
- Serve. Keep leftovers refrigerated.
Storing Cabbage Salad?
Cabbage salad can be eaten raw and is great fresh. If you have any leftovers they can be eaten the next day. Keep salad refrigerated and covered when storing in the fridge. To make the salad ahead of time, finely shred the cabbage and keep sealed in an airtight bag until needed. Toss with the dressing and bologna before serving, along with the salt and pepper.
What To Serve With Creamy Bologna Cabbage Salad?
Tips To Make A Cabbage Salad:
- Head of cabbage can go bad quickly after shredding, be sure to keep it sealed in an airtight bag for maximum freshness.
- Adding salt directly to the cabbage draws out the natural juices, only add salt before serving with the dressing.
- Use a mandoline to finely shred the cabbage or a sharp knife.
- Add some cheese cubes for an extra salad topping!
Tools To Make Cabbage Salad:
More Cabbage Recipe To Make:
- Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls– you don’t even wilt the cabbage! Everything gets baked raw!
- Simple Fried Cabbage– delicious sauteed cabbage.
- Pickled Cabbage– marinated cabbage that’s great to have as a stand by side in the refrigerator.
- Moms Stuffed Cabbage Rolls– classic.
- Cucumber Cabbage Salad-easy and cabbage salad with cucumbers.
- Cabbage Salad with Oil and Vinegar Dressing– light cabbage salad.
- Chicken Lettuce Wraps– Chinese-inspired wraps made from lettuce, simply swap out for cabbage.
Creamy Bologna Cabbage Salad
- Mandoline or sharp knife
- mixing bowl
- cutting board
- 1/2 head of cabbage (5-6 cups shredded)
- 1 lb bologna
- 1 1/4 cups mayonnaise
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Using a mandoline or sharp knife, finely shred the cabbage.
- Dice the bologna.
- Toss the shredded cabbage, bologna, mayo, salt, and pepper together in a large mixing bowl.