Meatloaf comes together quick and easy with this gluten-free recipe! Oatmeal works just as good in creating a classic meatloaf recipe and no one won’t even tell!
Nothing like a classic meatloaf dinner served with mashed potatoes and green beans for a comforting meal! It comes together quickly and if you can make it healthier by adding oats and not comprising on the flavor, then why not? Once you try this, you may not want to use cracker, panko or breadcrumbs anymore! Using oatmeal is totally undetectable! The meatloaf glaze is so basic made from only 3 ingredients and makes for one irresistible icing to the meatloaf.
What Beef is best for meatloaf?
Fat plays an important role in creating a juicy meatloaf. Too much fat will be greasy and too lean of meat can make your meatloaf dry. A good percentage to stick to is 80 or 85 percent lean/15 to 20 percent fat.
Tips for making Meatloaf:
- Keep it simple and EASY in creating the classic flavors.
- REST your meatloaf at least 20 minutes before slicing to maintain it’s shape and juices.
- Add your GLAZE towards the end of your cooking time to prevent a burnt or dry sauce.
- Choose the right lean to fat percentage for the GROUND BEEF.
- Bake your MEATLOAF in a loaf pan for the meat to cook in it’s natural juices, instead of leaking out.
- Use any left overs for sandwiches, spaghetti, SHEPARD’S PIE or other recipes calling for ground beef.
- LINE your loaf pan with foil or parchment paper for easy removal.
When should I add the glaze?
Adding your meatloaf sauce is best towards the end. It takes around an hour to bake a meatloaf and baking your glaze for that long can make for a dried out glaze or even scorched. To achieve a sticky glaze, simply baste some towards the last 15 minutes of your cooking time for the sauce to grip the meat.
Some savory add-ins:
Here are some common ingredients found in meatloaf recipes that can easily be added or substituted in meatloaf recipes-
- Breadcrumbs, panko, or cracker crumbs- binding agents
- Parsley- for flavor and appearance
- Cheese- binding agent
- Celery- flavor and texture
- Garlic- flavor
- Additional spices- like Italian seasoning, paprika, other dried herbs for additional flavor
- Tomato paste, sauce or juice- In place of the ketchup called for in most recipes
Whats the best way to freeze meatloaf?
Meatloaf can be frozen cooked or raw just a few things to keep in mind. IF FREEZING COOKED MEATLOAF, do not freeze with the glaze until after the loaf has been thawed and properly heated through. Under bake the meatloaf to leave some heating through time after thawing. Cool meatloaf completely to prevent freezer burn before placing into the freezer. TO FREEZE RAW MEATLOAF, simply freeze solid right in the loaf pan, lined with parchment, then remove and wrap securely before placing back into the freezer. Proceed with the recipe after proper thawing.
What to serve with Meatloaf-
EASY Meatloaf Recipe
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup onion minced
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp yellow prepared mustard
- 3 TBSP ketchup
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp yellow prepared mustard
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Mix all meatloaf ingredients together and pat into the prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour.
- Stir together the glaze ingredients and baste meatloaf the last 15 minutes of baking.
- Allow meatloaf to rest for 20 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition per serving
More beef recipes:
- Easy Lasagna
- EASY One-Pan Beef Stroganoff (Sour Cream Egg Noodles)
- 4-Ingredient Beef Chili Recipe
- Easy Asian Beef Stir Fry