Giant Chocolate Chip Cookies are inspired by the Bakery-Style Panera Bread Cookies! The Chocolate Chipper Cookie is a chocolate chunk cookie made with semi-sweet chocolate chunks and milk chocolate flakes! Everything you want in a Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe but more!
Cookie recipes are a favorite! Who doesn’t want to eat cookies? Chocolate Chip Cookies are a classic approach but if you want to get festive try our White Chocolate Chip Cookies and Peanut Butter Blossoms Cookie Recipe if you’re getting ready for the Holidays! Oatmeal Lover? Try one of the best Oatmeal Raisin Cookies!
The Best Giant Chocolate Chip Cookies!
This Cookie Recipe is mind-blowing! It makes 18 giant Chocolate Chip Cookies that are scooped with a big 2 1/4-inch cookie scoop! Call them Chocolate chunk cookies if you wish but since I chopped the chocolate they resemble an authentic chocolate chip look (chipped) safe enough to call them Chocolate Chip Cookies. Which by the way, if chocolate chips are all you have, they will work too!
So what’s the deal about this cookie dough? Just make your favorite cookie recipe only bigger? Well, this dessert doesn’t quite work that way. When I would double a chocolate chip cookie batch a major issue was the flour ratio, it just wouldn’t match the cookie criteria. No wonder Baker’s go by weight, flour can be a science involved art!
Behind the Cookie Recipe:
So, perfectly Big Giant-Sized Chocolate Chip Cookies has been something I wanted to recreate. You know when you walk into a Bakery and they have those huge Chocolate Chunk Cookies sitting behind the window, these are it! Well, they came together with a browned butter chocolate chip cookie inspiration only the butter isn’t really browned rather melted.
As a result, you need to try a browned butter chocolate chip cookie recipe because it creates a toffee flavored cookie recipe which only should deepen in toffee flavor the browner the butter gets. But no worries this recipe is extremely easy in fact you only use a whisk to bring this cookie dough batter together!
Furthermore, after making a batch of these Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Cookies I had to share! I was so impressed how they turned out from all the different recipes, that it was just cookie perfection. (If you follow me on Instagram you’ll know.)
The Secret to Bakery-Style Butter Cookies:
Here are some Pro Tips for making Chocolate Chip Cookies at home! Because let’s admit it, Bakeries can make one of the best chocolate chip cookies!
- Use a Cookie Scoop for even shaped cookies! Bakeshops use a 2 oz cookie scoop which is equivalent to 1/4 cup! It’s the perfect sized cookie your familiar with at Bakery Shops! It’s a little bigger than the regular size cookie scoop but incredible!
- Melt your Butter! It’s so much easier to make cookies with melted butter than using an electric mixer with softened butter! Plus it adds tremendous toffee flavor that all cookies need!
- Skip the Chocolate Chips and use Chopped Chocolate! The cookies you see at most Bakeries, including Panera Bread use, chipped (chopped) chocolate! Panera Bread even states that their Chocolate chipper cookie includes both semi-sweet chocolate chunks and milk chocolate flakes! It’s been proven a mixture of chocolate from a candy bar can make all the difference!
- Baker’s use Bread Flour for chewy cookies! Yep! More gluten makes chewier cookies! Although I made these with all-purpose (Gold Medal Brand) flour with excellent results.
- A Combination of Sugars such as white granulated sugar and brown sugar makes for chewy and crispy cookies! Since brown sugar is made from molasses is helps with the chewy factor and white sugar makes cookies crisp!
- Refrigerate your cookie batter! Not only does it help with the cookie structure but it enhances the flavor when you let it sit in the fridge! Besides, that’s the only way to keep any Bakery going! Freezing or resting in the fridge already pre-scooped!
- Salt brings out the flavor of the chocolate so add some to your cookie batter even if it’s not called for in the recipe!
- Last but not least, add a chunk of extra cookie dough batter or chocolate pieces atop each cookie. This creates picture-perfect cookies that appear loaded with chocolate!
- Don’t overbake! You want the middles to look wet and underdone. If the cookies started to puff in the middle chances are they overbaked.
Why are my Chocolate Chip Cookies Flat?
Cookies that turn out flat could be one of few reasons.
- Too much butter!
- Not enough leavening like baking soda or baking powder. (Those ingredients help with cookies rise to create cake-like cookies.)
- Not enough flour. If your batter looks too wet and sticky add more flour.
For soft and thick cookies you may want to consider beating the eggs and softened butter together rather than using melted butter. Also, consider using additional leavening for soft cake-like cookies.
Storing and Freezing Cookies:
These cookies store incredibly well! Keep in an airtight container once cooled. It is important to allow cookies to cool completely before removing them from the baking pans as they are still fragile.
To Freeze Chocolate Chip Cookies: Make the cookie batter as directed and scoop onto a large tray or baking sheet. Avoid cookie dough to touch and flash freeze until solid (2 hours.) Transfer to a freezer bag and keep frozen for up to 3 months.
To Bake Frozen Cookie Dough: arrange cookie dough balls onto a baking sheet and bake as directed adding a few more minutes if needed.
Can I make a standard size Cookie?
Sure, can! Use a 3/4 ounce cookie scoop for regular-sized cookies. This is the same one that I own and it’s such a heavy-duty scoop (the best one I’ve ever owned, NOT sponsored!)
Melted Butter or Softened Butter?
I’m all for melted butter from here on! These are some of the BEST Chocolate Chunk Cookies that I’ve ever made! Besides, it’s so much easier than whipping out an electric mixer when you can just use a bowl and whisk! The flavor of melted butter is so indulgent you may not ever want to go bake to softened butter again!
What Scoop Size for large Bakery Style Cookies?
Ingredients for Giant Chocolate Chip Cookies:
- Unsalted Butter: please melt your butter! It’s easier and toffee infused! Only have salted butter? Simply reduce the salt called for by 1/2 tsp.
- Light brown sugar and granulated sugar: even bakeries use both! Both work for chewier and crispier cookies!
- Eggs: this easy chocolate chip cookie recipe calls for whole eggs! Not yolks!
- Bread Flour: high gluten flour makes for chewy cookies. Use all-purpose if you that’s all you have.
- Chopped Chocolate: I chopped up a bar of Hershey’s Special Dark Chocolate Candy Bar and Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Nuggets. Use an equal amount of both for incredibly tasty cookies!
- Salt: essential in making cookies. Swap out for salted butter.
- Leavening: baking soda is stronger than baking powder you only need one teaspoon here.
Tutorial: How To Make Giant Chocolate Chip Cookies:
- Preheat the oven to 370°F. Line 3 baking sheets with silicone mats.
- Melt the butter.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine the sugars and whisk in the melted butter.
- Add the eggs and whisk together.
- Whisk in the dry ingredients.
- Fold in the chopped chocolate.
- Chill in the freezer for 30 minutes before scooping or put in the fridge overnight.
How to make Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies?
For softer cookies use softened butter and beat the sugars together. There are different factors to chewy cookies, like using brown sugar or bread flour. And never over bake chocolate chip cookies!
Do you have to Chill the Cookie Dough?
To fasten the chilling time I just pop my cookie dough batter in the freezer for 30 minutes and it’s nice and firm but scoopable. If the time allows, keep refrigerated for up to 4 days. I baked these Giant Chocolate Chip Cookies on the third or fourth day with divine results!
The Best Chocolate Chips?
For the best combination of chocolate in cookies use dark chocolate and milk chocolate. Semi-sweet is sort of in the middle and lacks much flavor.
Tips for Big Cookies:
- Use a 2 oz cookie scoop (1/4 cup scoop.) Bakery Shops even use them!
- Skip the chocolate chips and use chopped chocolate! A combination of Milk and Dark Chocolate makes one of the best concoctions!
- Use bread flour!
- Melted Butter not only toffee infuses the cookies but makes baking a whole lot easier! (You don’t even need an electric mixer!)
More Cookie Recipes to Try:
- Subway Peanut Butter Cookies
- 4-ingredient Thumbprint Cookies
- 3 Ingredient Butter Cookies
- Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
- Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- M&M Cookies (Bakery Style Copycat)
How To Make Giant Chocolate Chip Cookies:
Giant Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 8 oz chopped chocolate*
How To Make Giant Chocolate Chip Cookies:
- Melt butter in a saucepan; set aside.
- Meanwhile In a large bowl whisk together the sugars, melted butter and salt until a paste forms. Whisk in the eggs until smooth.
- Add the flour and baking soda and whisk until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chunks and chill in the freezer for 30 minutes (if using right away or refridegrate overnight if baking later.)
- Pre-heat oven to 370°F. Scoop cookie dough batter with a 2 oz cookie scoop (1/4 cup) onto a 18x13 baking sheet (6 cookies per pan) and bake for 12-15 minutes. Cool completely before serving.
- *Chocolate: I used one 4.5 oz of Hershey's dark chocolate bar and Hershey's Milk chocolate nuggets that I coarsely chopped.
- I used my favorite heavy duty cookie scoops in the 2 oz cookie scoop size.
- NOTE: day 4 in the fridge is best to bake these cookies. They deepen in toffee flavor the longer they sit and don't spread as much when baking.