One-Pan Cheesy Chicken, Broccoli, and Rice is an easy dinner all made in one pot! Toss the chicken, rice, broccoli, and cheese under one lid and you got the perfect weeknight dinner all made in one dish! Super simple ingredients and a cheesy broccoli rice recipe to favor!
Cheesy Broccoli Rice with Chicken
One-Pan dinners are amazing! Food being such a necessity we could all use some shortcuts in feeding our families, am I right? After all who could resist a one-pot alfredo recipe or a one-pan beef stroganoff? Recipes like these make easy dinners possible!
Don’t get me wrong we love chicken dinners that require some elbow grease (like our Sizzlin Chicken or Monterey Chicken, both so yum!) but those of us who could use some easy dinner inspirations can make this vegetable broccoli dinner happen! Got picky little eaters? Try throwing broccoli through the food processer first to get mini-sized pieces that they won’t be able to pick out later.
Our family isn’t big on eating broccoli but I’m so glad I picked up a couple of frozen bags of broccoli that I’ve kept in my freezer for a quick and easy dinner, like this! I’ve already made a 10-minute broccoli cheese soup with it and I love that the broccoli won’t spoil as quickly since it’s frozen.
Can I Make this into a Casserole?
This Cheesy Chicken Broccoli and rice dinner is ideal to be cooked inside a skillet. However, if you wish to skip the frying pan and cook inside the oven instead here’s how.
Casserole Instructions: Microwave the chicken broth, onion, and rice covered for 10 minutes. Transfer to a 13×9-inch baking dish and combine the remaining ingredients, sprinkling the other half of cheese for the top. Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
What Size Skillet?
I used a 12-inch skillet that was about 3-inches deep. Preferably one with a lid for this Cheesy Broccoli Rice dish to cook properly.
Can I Use Brown Rice or Different Grains?
Any rice size, medium, short, or long-grain will work! I used white Jasmine rice. However, brown, white, wild rice or farro and barley can even be used. Cooking times can vary from grain to grain so just use the package instructions to guide you and adjust the difference in the cooking time as needed. Brown rice and bulkier grains may need an extra 10 minutes but smaller grains like quinoa can be left as directed.
Fresh or Frozen Broccoli?
Either fresh broccoli florets or frozen broccoli can be used to make this cheesy chicken, broccoli, and rice recipe.
How Much Does 1 Cup of Uncooked Rice Make?
If you cook a cup of uncooked rice you’re likely to end up with around 3 cups of cooked rice. If you cook with brown rice you may end up with an additional cup.
Tips for Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice:
- Cube the cream cheese for easy melting.
- Use brown rice and increase the cooking time to 10 minutes more!
- Use Monterey Jack Cheese if out of cheddar cheese!
- Add more spices like onion and garlic powder to spice things up!
More Broccoli Recipes:
- Broccoli Salad
- Outback Broccoli and Cheese
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup (Panera Bread Copycat)
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup
How To Make Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice:
One-Pan Cheesy Chicken, Broccoli, and Rice
- 12-inch skillet
Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 chicken breast
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 21/2 cups chicken broth
- 21/2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups cheddar cheese (divided)
How To Make Cheesy Chicken Broccoli and Rice:
- Saute the onion in oil until soft. Cube and season the chicken breast with salt and pepper; and add to the onions. Stir in the garlic and cook until the chicken is almost done.
- Add the cream cheese and melt. Then stir in the rice and broth and bring to a boil. Simmer covered over low for 12 minutes.
- Open the lid and stir in the broccoli, cover and continue to cook for 8 more minutes.
- Stir in half the cheese and garnish the top with the remaining cheddar cheese. Cover and allow the cheese to melt.
- Broccoli* can use fresh or frozen broccoli florets.
- Chicken Broth: can stir together 2 1/2 cups of water with 2 tsp of chicken bullion powder.