This Chick Fil A Chicken Sandwich is like the real thing! A thick fillet of crispy chicken breast over a toasted butter bun and dill pickles tastes like the Chick Fil A recipe! Use this chicken breading for nuggets, strips, or tenders and make Chick Fil A Sauce to complete your meal!
We love a good fried chicken sandwich! Try our spot on Popeyes Chicken Sandwich Recipe or Chick Fil A Grilled Chicken Sandwich that is healthier than deep fried chicken. For calories and nutrition concern make a homemade Multigrain Bun that are as soft as Store-Bought Hamburger Buns!
Fried Chicken Sandwich
You want to know how to make a fried chicken sandwich at home? Well, each fried chicken recipe uses a unique recipe that represents its franchise, the Chick Fil A Chicken sandwich on the other hand is a favorite (aside from Popeyes Fried Chicken Sandwich!)
So, how do you make a Chick Fil A Chicken Sandwich? Rumor has it the seasoned chicken is brined in dill pickle juice. In fact if you think you smell a distinct pickle flavor it’s because the dill pickles are right on the bottom of the fried chicken fillet.
Chick-fil-A Chicken Sandwich
The original Chick-fil-A Chicken Sandwich is made with boneless and seasoned chicken breast fillets that are hand breaded in every restaurant. To begin, you’ll want to flatten the filet to cook more evenly and when you cut the chicken breasts in half lengthwise, make sure its big enough to cover the bun or biscuit.
Next, the marinated chicken fillets then get dipped into a milk wash (eggs and milk) and then the filets get dredged into the seasoned flour of which you dip, shake, flip, and take to the pressure fryer to cook. For a full video tutorial watch How To Make The Chick Fil A Chicken Sandwich right from the restaurant itself!
Before we jump in, I want to say this recipe was specifically designed to Copycat Chick Fil A Sandwich! It is not a typical fried chicken recipe that is marinated in buttermilk and hot sauce like Southern fried chicken.
I literally taste tested it with the real sandwich right by my side and with plenty of Chick Fil A video tutorials I was able to recreate the sandwich just how its made at the restaurant, (lets just say a lot of testing was involved.) Leave a comment below to rate and review my recreation!
Popeyes Chicken vs Chick Fil A
The Popeyes chicken has a distinct white pepper flavor in their breading. Chick Fil A on the other hand has more of a tart (ground mustard) and sweeter chicken fillet. Both are delicious in their own way!
However, each is made differently. I’ve also noticed that Popeyes chicken is lighter in color whereas Chick Fil A fillets are much darker. This is because the red spices (paprika) are given more in the Chick Fil A breading.
Another difference to mention in making these fried chicken recipes is that the egg wash from Popeyes is much thicker than the milk wash from Chick Fil A. This will make a huge difference in how much the flour adheres to the chicken!
What To Serve With Fried Chicken Sandwich:
P.S. Did you a Chick Fil A Sandwich meal is $7.29! Can you imagine the price of a platter to feed a whole family? Well, it’s around $60 dollars to feed our family at Chick Fil A, but if you can buy a value pack of chicken breasts and hamburger buns your total to cater a family can be around $15! Now that’s lunch on a budget!
What Is The Chick Fil A Chicken Sandwich?
The Chick Fil A Menu currently makes 6 signature chicken sandwiches of which are breaded and grilled. The love for these sandwiches is mostly the Chick Fil A Sauce that you can dip with waffle fries, grilled nuggets, Cobb salad, and the Chick Fil A Sandwich in! You can find the Chick Fil A Sauce Recipe here.
List of Chick Fil A Fried Chicken Sandwiches:
- Original Chicken Sandwich- seasoned chicken breasts and dill pickle chips over a toasted butter bun.
- Deluxe Sandwich- fried chicken with dill pickle chips, green leaf lettuce, tomato and American cheese.
- Spicy Chicken Sandwich- spicy breaded chicken breasts (with a spicy blend of peppers) and dill pickle chips over a toasted butter bun.
- Spicy Deluxe Sandwich With Pepper Jack- spicy breaded chicken breasts, dill pickle chips, green leaf lettuce, tomato and Pepper Jack Cheese.
Honey Roasted BBQ Sauce vs Chick Fil A Sauce?
I want to inform you that the Chick Fil A Menu serves a collection of dipping sauces and dressings. The sauce closest to the Chick Fil A Sauce is the Chick Fil A Honey Roasted BBQ Sauce. Don’t get confused with these two sauces, they are very similar.
The Honey Roasted BBQ Sauce is smokier and has more notes of BBQ sauce. It was specifically designed for the Grilled Chicken Sandwich (off their menu) and the Chick-Fil-A Sauce has more notes of honey mustard and mayo and is slightly lighter in color.
Both Dipping sauces are sweet, smokey, tangy, and equally delicious.
Chick Fil A Sandwich Ingredients?
The ingredients for the Chick Fil A Chicken Sandwich are; boneless skinless chicken breasts, seasoning (salt, msg, sugar, paprika, spices), flour, nonfat milk, leavening (baking soda, and baking powder), soybean oil, water, egg, fully refined peanut oil, bun, vinegar, butter flavored oil, pickle.
My interpretation of the ingredients above? Use spice blends to shorten the list and home alternatives that will work the same. Here is my grilled chicken marinade:
- Chicken breasts- boneless and skinless chicken breasts, cut in half to make two thinner fillets out of each breast of meat.
- Chicken Marinade- a blend of seasoned salt, water, and leavening (baking soda is my favorite way to tenderizer meat without buttermilk and hot sauce and the white distilled vinegar quenches any bitterness!)
- Seasoned Flour- white flour, salt, ground mustard, sugar, black pepper, leavening, seasoned salt, paprika, celery salt, ground sage, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, ground ginger, and turmeric.
Note: This is a fried chicken sandwich without buttermilk. The marinated fried chicken breast makes this sandwich moist and tender!
How To Make Fried Chicken Sandwich Like Chick Fil A?
To make fried chicken at home first prepare the chicken by cutting the chicken breasts in half lengthwise. Then make the chicken marinade and let the meat tenderize while you prepare the other steps.
- Heat the frying oil to 350°F. You want to get the oil temperature right in order to get crispy fried chicken without burning the crust. A frying Thermometer can help to fully cook the interior of the chicken.
- Toast your hamburger buns on a non-greased griddle or hot skillet. Brush the tops with melted butter or butter flavored oil or cooking spray. Set aside.
- Drain the marinade from the chicken (DO NOT WASH.)
- Add your chicken cutlets to the milk and egg wash.
- Then dip the chicken pieces into the seasoned flour and press it firmly into the flour. Flip and shake chicken pieces from excess breading.
- Fry the chicken, rough side down for 4-5 minutes or until nicely browned and cooked through. I like to occasionally flip my chicken breast over for even browning as the flour bits collect on the bottom.
- To assemble the sandwiches place 2-3 dill pickle slices onto the bottom bun. Top with a fried chicken fillet and buttered bun.
- Serve with Chick Fil A Sauce.
- Taste the chicken sandwich and let me know what’s it like!
Can I Use Chicken Thighs?
Chicken thighs will work great for this fried chicken sandwich! Leave the thighs whole and do not slice in half like you would a chicken breast fillet.
Storing Homemade Chick Fil A Sandwich:
If you want to know how to reheat Chick Fil A Sandwich, its to microwave it or wrap it up in foil and bake. These reheating instructions are for assembled and prepared sandwiches. If you are working with a filet you’ll want to revive it in the oven uncovered until the breading crisps up again, then assemble into sandwiches.
An air fryer would do a great job at reheating the filets too! Keep leftovers refrigerated for up to 4 days. Be sure to pat dry your pickles before placing into the buns, this way the bread won’t get as soggy.
How Long To Fry Chicken?
Wondering how to fry chicken breast for a Sandwich? The best fried chicken sandwich comes together with the right equipment. Colonel Sanders of KFC fried his chicken in a pressure fryer like Chick Fil A. Apparently it makes juicy fried chicken, however the way you marinade chicken will determine the juiciness too.
You don’t need a Pressure fryer or any fryer in that matter, just a deep pot to hold the frying oil and enough room to submerge the chicken cutlets into.
Chicken Breast cutlets take anywhere from 4-5 minutes or around 3 on each side. The thicker the fillet the longer it will take to cook. It is important to cut the chicken breasts in half lengthwise for even cooking.
Your chicken is done when the meat thermometer reads 165°F.
Chick Fil A History?
Who owns Chick fil A? Chick Fil A was founded in 1946 in the Atlanta suburb of Hapeville, by Truett Cathy. The first diner was called Dwarf Grill and later in 1967, Cathy founded and opened the first Chick-fil-A restaurant in Atlanta’s Greenbriar Shopping Center.
Today, it’s one of the best selling fried chicken restaurants that is operated by his son and grandson who are the CEO of the company.
How Many Calories In A Chick Fil A Sandwich?
Chick Fil A Chicken Sandwich is 440 calories per sandwich. This Homemade Chicken Sandwich recipe is 438 calories!
Best Fried Chicken Sandwich Tips:
- This chicken breast marinade takes minutes to tenderize thanks to the ultra-fast meat tenderizer called baking soda.
- Make Chick Fil A nuggets, chicken strips, or chicken tenders with this seasoned flour. Chick Fil A uses the same breading for all there deep fried chicken recipes except for the spicy chicken.
- Want to make your own Chick Fil A Sauce recipe? Learn how to make it and what’s in it exactly!
- Do not overcrowd the pot when frying the chicken in batches.
- In a rush? Chick Fil A Sauce is sold at Walmart in big squeezable bottles! Try out the Polynesian sauce for a sweet and sour dipping sauce!
- Make the Chick Fil A Grilled Chicken Club Sandwich!
- Keep the fried chicken over a sheet pan lined with a rack. And place in a warmed oven (at the lowest oven temperature.) This keeps the chicken crispy while the others fry up.
- Make the Chick-Fil-A honey roasted BBQ sauce for this sandwich.
- Add crisp greens, tomatoes, and American cheese to make the Deluxe.
- For the best Chick Fill A Sandwich make this chicken recipe, marinade, and seasoned flour!
- Make chicken minis from this chicken recipe and fill into Homemade Biscuits for breakfast!
- Chick Fil A places the breaded chicken breasts into a frying basket so they don’t curl up when pressure frying. Use tongs to handle each fried chicken piece and don’t work about the chicken curling if using a pot or pan.
- Put fried chicken into a pan and keep warm in the oven at the lowest oven temperature.
- Nesting Mixing Bowls- are easy to clean and perfect for making marinates!
- Wire Whisk– for combining the marinade ingredients.
- 18x13 Sheet Pan– to keep fried chicken in after frying. I like to place a cooling rack over the top and keep the chicken in a warmed oven while the rest is frying. Keeps crispy!
- Instant Read Meat Thermometer for Cooking- if you are unsure about the chicken meat being done.
- Metal Tongs– to place and remove chicken from oil. You can also use a slotted spoon or spider utensil.
- Heavy Dutch Oven Pot– evenly distributes heat and is deep enough to hold that oil so it doesn’t splatter as much.
Other Fried Chicken Recipes:
- Country Fried Chicken with Gravy (99 Copycat)
- Popeyes Chicken Sandwich Recipe
- Zaxbys Chicken
- Crispy Chicken Tenders
- Boneless Chicken Wings
How To Make Chick Fil A Sandwich:
Chick Fil A Chicken Sandwich
- 4 lbs chicken breasts (cut in half lengthwise)
- 1 Tbsp seasoned salt
- 1 Tbsp baking soda
- 4 Tbsp White distilled vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 Tbsp ground mustard
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp baking soda and baking powder
- 1/2 tsp seasoned salt
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp celery salt
- 1/4 tsp heaping ground sage
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder and onion powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 10 hamburger buns (insides toasted and tops brushed with melted butter)
- 10 oz dill pickles (sliced)
- Marinade the chicken breasts in the marinade for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, Pre-heat 1 quart of frying oil in large pot. Prepare the milk wash then the seasoned flour and set both aside.
- Dip each chicken breast into the milk wash then into the seasoned flour and press the coating into the meat. Shake off any excess flour and fry 4-5 minutes or until done.
- To assemble the sandwiches place 2 dill pickle slices onto the bottom bun. Top with a fried chicken fillet and buttered bun.
- Dip into Chick Fil A Sauce and enjoy!
- Deluxe Sandwich: To make the Chick-fil-A Deluxe Sandwich add green lettuce, tomatoes, and a slice of American cheese.
- Double the breading recipe for 4 pounds of chicken.
Nutrition per serving