This Country fried chicken with gravy is a family favorite dinner! It’s Ninety-Nine’s version of boneless fried chicken (aka Chicken fried Chicken) and the secret to the breading lies in a homemade baking mix that has leavening!
My children call this “the big dinner.” It’s seriously the best way to dress up fried chicken and happens to be on rotation for family favorite dinners. I love it so much I wouldn’t even mind making all of it from scratch! But, life can be busy so taking some shortcuts in home cooking can make things a lot easier, like making a freezer batch of my favorite mashed potatoes, or a big batch of the best buttermilk biscuits, some cranberry sauce made from Craisins, and did you know you can even freeze the gravy! Then when dinner comes, it takes some heating up to do and your chicken to focus on.
Country Fried Chicken with Gravy
Ninety-Nine Restaurant has one of the best plated country fried chicken dishes! Served with mashed potatoes, corn, biscuits, a creamy-style country gravy and the best cranberry sauce! All of which you can make from home and serve to a crowd! Everything on the plate plays a particular role in making the fried chicken even better and gravy is a must!
Secret to the Fried Chicken Breading:
The secret to the breading is using a homemade all-purpose baking mix, like Bisquick. I have a homemade recipe for Bisquick that can be used for so many things like pancakes or breading! A baking mix has leavening in it and other ingredients that could enhance any regular breading. I like to add my spices to the mix and turn it into country fried chicken!
Tips in making Fried Chicken:
- If the time allows, dredge chicken pieces in breading and let it get sticky. I have had some really nice crust results when the breading would soak into the chicken before frying.
- For a quick frying session have your meat cut or pounded to a thinner size. Thick chicken or bone-in cuts will take longer to fry.
- If not using a pre-made baking mix for the breading, simply make one by adding spices and leavening to all-purpose flour.
How to make Country Fried Chicken with Gravy
Country Fried Chicken with Gravy (99 Copycat)
- 4 chicken breasts (8 pieces in total after slicing each breast)
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 cup peanut oil for frying
- 2 cups Homemade Bisquick
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 Tbsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup leftover pan drippings from frying
- 4 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup half and half (half milk and cream)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
How to make Country Fried Chicken
- Cut each chicken breast in half. Soak in milk and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Combine all breading ingredients into a gallon-sized ziploc bag and shake well. Add chicken pieces a few at a time and toss to coat each chicken piece.
- Fry each breaded chicken breast in oil for 2-3 minutes on each side or until done.
How to make Country Gravy
- Collect 1/4 cup of oil from the frying pan. Heat in a small saucepan over high heat whisking in the cornstarch. Once mixture is simmering stir in the broth and bring to a boil.
- Once mixture starts thickeneing, add the half and half with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer. Serve over fried chicken.