This Creamy Chicken Casserole is baked in an ultra-creamy homemade gravy and plump mushrooms! It’s called Chicken Gloria and makes the perfect dish to impress guests or bring along to a potluck! It’s one tasty chicken recipe!
Chicken recipes are a favorite! There are so many dinners to come like TGI Friday’s Sizzlin Chicken and Cheese or Olive Garden’s Chicken Piccata! This Mushroom and Chicken Casserole is mighty delicious!
Chicken Casserole Recipe
A chicken casserole is good, but if you can add mushrooms and make your own homemade gravy instead of using canned soups then it’s a total win! Chicken Gloria recipes typically call for canned soups like canned creamy mushroom soup, which in my opinion is a turndown if I’m cooking dinner for the family! I like better-for-you options when it comes to certain things and canned soups aren’t my thing.
I put this Chicken Casserole together after some brief research and knowing what I did and did not want to use. Sour cream struck my attention and cheese and chicken always sound like a good idea so I put them together to create something even better than a usual chicken casserole! This casserole comes out ultra-creamy and the chicken is super tender while being smothered all over with a homemade canned soup if I may say! It’s a chicken recipe that can easily be the centerpiece of a guest dinner or the eye-catching potluck find. Serve it with a bed of creamy mashed potatoes and you will be favored!
Cheese adds creaminess! Melt some into the gravy and the gravy will stay creamy from the cheese! This stuff is so good you can ladle it over your favorite pasta to make a Chicken Alfredo Dish! Talk about Fettucine Alfredo!
How to make a Chicken Casserole:
What is Chicken Gloria?
Chicken Gloria is a baked chicken casserole made with mushroom gravy and sometimes cheese. It usually calls for canned mushroom soup but this recipe calls for a homemade gravy instead!
What other Vegetables can I cook this Chicken Casserole with?
A Chicken Gloria Casserole is typically cooked with chicken and mushrooms. However, here is a list of vegetables that can be added in:
- green beans
- sliced carrots
- Brussel sprouts
- bell peppers
Ingredients for Creamy Chicken Casserole?
This chicken Casserole calls for basic ingredients and the cheese can easily be swapped out for another kind.
- chicken- use chicken breasts or tenders.
- flour- make it gluten-free by using cornstarch instead.
- salt and pepper- flavors the casserole!
- oil for frying- use vegetable oil, canola oil, or soybean oil.
- fresh white button mushrooms- the most common mushroom and easy to access!
- garlic- crushed from cloves.
- unsalted butter- if using salted butter simply omit some of the salt in the recipe.
- chicken broth- use 2 tsp of chicken bullion powder to 2 cups of water for the chicken broth.
- heavy whipping cream- can use milk or half and half.
- sour cream- I used the Daisy brand.
- Muenster Cheese- can use Monterey cheese, Colby, or Mozzarella.
- paprika- gives the chicken dish a hue.
- vinegar- adds a bit of tartness to all that creaminess!
Can I make it Gluten-Free?
Corn-starch makes a great flour substitute especially when it comes to making gravy or slurries! Be careful not to use too much of it as it can leave a starchy after taste.
What to serve with a Chicken Casserole?
Since this chicken recipe resembles a tasty gravy side dishes like mashed potatoes or rice go best! Turn it into an Alfredo dish by ladling it over Pasta! Fresh salads make a great side too like this cucumber cabbage salad or creamy cucumber tomato salad.
Can Chicken Gravy be frozen?
If you didn’t know gravy actually freezes very well! I freeze my sausage gravy for a future biscuit breakfast and like to pop leftover gravy into the freezer for reheating later! This chicken casserole can be frozen too!
To freeze Chicken Gloria: use a disposable baking dish to layer all ingredients per recipe. Cool completely. Cover with foil and freeze up to 3 months.
To reheat: Thaw completely and bake as instructed for 45 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Can I make-Ahead?
This kind of casserole is great for making ahead since everything is layered before baking anyways! Here is how!
How to Make Creamy Chicken Casserole ahead of time: Layer the chicken, mushrooms, and gravy per recipe. Cool completely. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes or until bubbly and hot.
Slow Cooker Instructions:
- Season and dredge the chicken into the flour. Place into a 5-quart slow cooker.
- In a medium saucepan saute the mushrooms and onion for 10 minutes. Place over chicken.
- In the same saucepan melt the butter and stir in flour. Add the remaining gravy ingredients and pour over the chicken and mushrooms. Cook over low for 4-5 hours or high for 3 hours.
- Use a deep frying pan to make this chicken casserole as gravy later cooks in it!
- Baking soda makes a quick meat-tenderizer!
- Season meat directly rather than mixing it into the flour that way it’s not left behind in the flour.
- Use the excess dredging flour for the roux in the gravy.
Shop this recipe:
Other Chicken Casserole Recipes to try:
- Loaded Baked Potato Casserole with Chicken and Mushrooms
- Chicken Pot Pie Casserole with Biscuits
- Creamy Spinach Chicken
- Monterey Chicken
Creamy Chicken Casserole (Chicken Gloria Casserole)
- 9×13 baking dish
Ingredients for the Mushrooms and Chicken:
- 3 large chicken breasts cut into 1 1/2" strips (2 1/2 lbs)
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 lb mushrooms (sliced)
- 1/2 cup onions
- 4 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1/2 cup oil divided
- 5 Tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp white distilled vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 6 oz Muenster cheese
How to make Creamy Chicken Casserole:
- Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Dredge in the flour and fry in batches using 3 Tbsp of oil for each batch. Transfer to a 9×13 baking dish. Reserve the flour for the gravy.
- Wipe clean skillet and add 3 tbsp of oil. Fry the mushrooms and onion for 10 minutes over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and heat 1 minute. Transfer to the baking dish.
- Add butter to the same frying pan and melt. Whisk in the reserved dredging flour (1/3 cup.) Pour in the broth and cream. Whisk in the remaining gravy ingredients and stir until creamy and thick. Pour gravy over the layered chicken and mushrooms. Cover and bake at 350°F for 40 minutes.
- Quick Meat-Tenderizer: sprinkle chicken pieces with 1 teaspoon of baking soda and 2 Tbsp of vinegar and let sit for 10 minutes before proceeding with the recipe. Rinse and pat dry before using.
- Garnish: sprinkle casserole with additional black pepper and fresh parsley or cilantro before serving.
- Make-Ahead: Layer the chicken, mushrooms, and gravy per recipe. Cool completely. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes or until bubbly and hot.
- Freezer instructions: Layer and cool inside a disposable pan. Freeze up to 3 months. Thaw first before baking as instructed.