Make Pizza Hut Stuffed Crust Pizza like the original right at home! An easy homemade pizza crust is stuffed with string cheese, topped with supreme toppings, and baked to the scrumptious large stuffed crust pizza we all love! Watch the tutorial to get the closest pizza hut, copycat!
An aromatic and sweet pizza sauce is the kind of tomato sauce you’ll need over a stuffed crust pizza! Make our copycat Pizza Hut Marinara Sauce that I’ve scaled down from a large batch. And if you’re looking for a robust pizza sauce, try our Domino’s Pizza Sauce that pairs perfectly with our Dominos Pizza Crust Recipe!
My favorite crust from Pizza Hut is the stuffed crust! Pizza Hut is the largest Chain Pizzeria Restaurant with an Italian-American menu and some really good pan pizza, Detroit-style pizza (deep dish), and stuffed crust. Founded back in 1958 by two brothers in Wichita, Kansas the pizza business got franchised officially in 1959 and grew from there.
The stuffed crust pizza got invented in the spring of 1995 and is a large pizza for a reason. The pizza dough is stretched a little larger to leave room for the cheesy pizza border that gets wrapped around with a cylinder stick of mozzarella string cheese along the edges of the crust. Talk about YUM!
Stuffed crust pizza isn’t only a Pizza Hut thing, frozen Digiorno, Papa John’s, and Little Caesars carry stuffed crust pizza with their delicious twist! So, what’s the best-stuffed crust pizza? My ideal cheese-stuffed crust pizza is the Hut way! There’s a Pizza Hut near me and in hundreds of locations worldwide for a reason. In fact, I will scroll through the pizza hut menu looking for coupons and deals, and will even drive to Pizza Hut to avoid delivery charges when ordering the stuffed crust (the frugal mom in me)!
And the Pizza hut specials don’t end there–you can order by phone or online services easily, but what if I told you, it’s possible to recreate one of their pizzas right at home? Seriously, skip the Pizza Hut coupon code and make stuffed crust at home that actually tastes like Pizza Hut for a fraction of the menu price!
Making Pizza Hut Stuffed Crust Pizza At Home
Recreating the stuffed crust pizza took me some time to establish. If you follow my Instagram page you will know that I’ve attempted it but never really published the recipe because I felt it wasn’t quite there. I had the technique down, after watching many tutorials and even discovered this old Pizza Hut Training Video (1988), but the pizza dough needed to taste like Pizza Huts. Thankfully after trial and error I finally came to a winner recipe!
How To Make Stuffed Crust Pizza
To Begin, make this easy homemade pizza dough. It was specifically designed for a stuffed crust pizza so, no shortcuts here. I know you can use store-bought or make one in minutes. However I strongly urge you to make the dough at least a day in advance for cold proofing, it makes a tremendous difference and is exactly the way I tested this recipe with successful results. After fermenting in the fridge the dough develops into a soft ball of dough that gets stretchy. As a result, Pizza Hut’s Stuffed crust is sweeter than other pizzas, which my recipe delivers.
Now, to make a stuffed crust pizza at home, you need quality mozzarella cheese. I’m talking about a real block of low-moisture part-skim mozzarella that you can grate at home using a box grater and soft string cheese sticks (Frigo brand). The pre-shredded cheeses have cellulose powder that helps prevent the cheese grates from sticking, and later drying out the cheese–avoid it, unless your cheese is covered with toppings.
Next, make sure your tomato sauce is ready, or use a sweet and thick marinara sauce from the store. Remember Pizza Hut’s marinara sauce is sweet don’t settle for a watery-based tomato sauce, it needs to be thick and sweet (Priano brand from Aldi is good.)
Furthermore, invest in a Docker Wheel to punch holes in your pizza dough! Pizza Hut makes their pizza using this wheel and it helps get all the bubbles out of the dough to evenly bake the center pizza so it doesn’t grow too thick in the oven.
Finally, use a generous about of oil to brush the pizza crust before and after baking.
What is Stuffed Crust Pizza?
A stuffed crust pizza is a large ball of pizza dough stretched out to a 16″ circle and filled with extra cheese (string cheese) along the border of the crust. The crust then gets sealed and topped like any other pizza, except the crust is stuffed with extra cheese.
Pizzerias will use a docker wheel to pierce the holes of the pizza dough, so the dough doesn’t rise high during baking. To make stuffed crust pizza at home use a [eafl id="19171" name="perforated pizza pan" text="Perforated Pizza Pan"] and soybean oil if you want to copy Pizza Hut exactly.
Pizza Hut Stuffed Crust is best with supreme toppings! To take a shortcut to supreme pizza simply omit the pork and beef and use pepperoni for the meat. I do advise mushrooms, green bell peppers, and red onion even if you turn vegetarian.
- Pizza Dough- this homemade pizza dough is made with dry active yeast, granulated sugar, salt, dry milk (dough enhancer), water, oil, and bread flour.
- Tomato Sauce- use a thick and sweet marinara sauce.
- Mozzarella Cheese- choose a low moisture part-skim mozzarella cheese for making pizza. Pre-shredded cheese can have an anti-caking ingredient called cellulose.
- Toppings- I love stuffed crust pizza with mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, green bell peppers, white button mushrooms, and sliced purple onions. Yum!
- Oil- use any mildly flavored oil to generously grease the pizza pan and crust before baking. I will also drizzle additional oil onto the crust after baking to get the signature-looking Pizza Hut Crust.
How To Make Stuffed Crust Pizza Step-By-Step?
Making homemade stuffed crust pizza is simpler than you may think! See my full photo tutorial in the recipe box.
- Make the pizza dough by combining the yeast, sugar, salt, dry milk, water, and oil. Whisk together and knead in the flour using a stand mixer. Knead 3-5 minutes.
- Form dough into a ball and place it into a greased freezer bag. Place in the refrigerator and proof overnight.
- To make Pizza, remove the proofed pizza dough from the fridge and allow it to sit for 5 minutes on the countertop. Using a rolling pin roll the dough out to a 16″ circle. Transfer dough to a greased 16″ perforated pizza pan. Place 8 pieces of string cheese along the edge of the pizza dough leaving a 1-inch border for sealing. Bring the dough over the string cheese and pinch down to seal the cheese.
- Run a docker wheel around the center of the pizza.
- Spread the pizza with marinara sauce and top with toppings.
- Brush the crust with oil and bake at 500°F for 8 minutes.
Chef’s Tip: Brush the crust with oil after the pizza has baked for a signature Pizza Hut look!
What Temperature To Bake Pizza?
Commercial Pizzerias run their ovens over 500°F for operating in a fast-paced environment. Pizza Hut uses a conveyer belt oven that bakes a pizza fast. Fortunately, you can achieve the same effect by baking a pizza at home on the highest oven setting. Make sure you pre-heat the oven to at least 500°F.
Baking pizza at a high temperature requires less baking time and can eliminate the use of a pizza stone or other fancy equipment. Simply invest in a perforated pizza pan for the best-stuffed crust results.
What Oil To Use For Stuffed Crust Pizza?
Soybean is an odorless cooking oil used throughout Pizza Hut. I used sunflower oil with fantastic results. You will need cooking oil for greasing the pizza pan, brushing the crust, and proofing the pizza dough.
How To Seal A Stuffed Crust Pizza?
To make a stuffed crust pizza recipe that doesn’t ooze out on you, will require some helpful tips to succeed.
- Stretch your pizza dough to a large 16-inch circle. The size does matter-any smaller and the dough will be too thick.
- Place the string cheese along the edge of the pizza dough leaving a 1-inch border. Taking the excess dough, bring over the top of the string cheese and seal by pinching down the dough into the crust.
- Use a [eafl id="19170" name="Docker Wheel" text="Docker Wheel"] to pierce the dough and prevent it from growing in the oven. (Pizza Hut and Papa Johns use a Docker Wheel when making pizzas). This will also pinch down that seam that closed the string cheese up.
- The Original Stuffed Crust Pizza at Pizza Hut is baked in a perforated pan. Grease well before using.
Can You Freeze Pizza Dough?
You can freeze uncooked pizza dough, however, do increase the yeast by an additional teaspoon of yeast. Freezing pizza dough can sometimes kill off the yeast, which is why it’s important to use it up within a month.
To Freeze Uncooked Pizza Dough: place dough ball onto parchment freezer paper and flash freeze. Transfer to a freezer bag and keep frozen for up to one month.
Reheating Instructions: Thaw completely before using.
Pizza is best, fresh and hot out of the oven. If you have leftovers they reheat great in 3 different ways.
- Bake in pre-heated 350°F oven for 7-8 minutes until crisp.
- Microwave over high every 30 seconds until hot.
- Place into a pre-heated skillet covered, until heated thoroughly.
Comment and review how you reheat pizza!
Baking with yeast is easy. To ensure that your yeast is active, simply dissolve in warm water and sugar first. If the mixture didn’t foam your yeast didn’t activate and is most likely bad.
- Use warm water to activate the yeast. If you will ferment the dough in the refrigerator for a few days you can use cool water.
- If you are not planning to refrigerate the pizza dough, but rather bake immediately, increase the yeast by 1 teaspoon.
- Do not use hot water, which can kill the yeast.
- Warm water should be anywhere from 95-100°F.
- Always dissolve dry yeast in liquid first.
What To Serve With Stuffed Crust pizza?
Who Has Stuffed Crust Pizza?
Pizza places with stuffed crust pizza are Papa John’s, Little Caesars, and Pizza Hut. Some Frozen selections from the grocery store are, Red Baron and Digiorno stuffed crust pizza. Dominos Pizza doesn’t currently have Stuffed crust pizza, however, they do have stuffed cheesy bread as an option.
Who invented Stuffed Crust Pizza?
A former food scientist (Patty Scheibmeir) for Pizza Hut came up with the idea when she wanted to make the crust more appealing after people left out the crust on a plate. Pizza Hut launched the stuffed crust on March 25, 1995.
There have been claims of the stuffed crust being invented by others before Pizza Hut launched. However, Pizza Hut is well popularized from their invention.
Stuffed Crust Pizza Tips:
- Stretch the pizza dough to a 16-inch circle. Leave a 1-inch border on the outer edge of the dough and place 8 string cheese pieces along the outer edge. Seal.
- Use a [eafl id="19170" name="Docker Wheel" text="Docker Wheel"] to seal the crust from leaking out. And it pierces the center pizza dough from growing in the oven.
- Brush the Crust with oil before and after baking for that Pizza Hut signature look.
- Use a sweet marinara sauce for the pizza sauce.
- When buying mozzarella cheese, choose a soft low-moisture mozzarella block. I do not recommend a fresh ball of mozzarella cheese for a stuffed crust, as it can release excess liquid.
Equipment To Make Stuffed Crust Pizza:
- Perforated Pizza Pan– to bake the pizza dough on (similar to Pizza Hut).
- Docker Wheel– so the dough doesn’t puff up in odd places.
- Pastry Brush-to brush crust or use a squeezable bottle to drizzle oil over the crust.
More Pizza Recipes:
- Breakfast Pizza Recipe with Sausage Gravy
- Dominos Pizza Dough (Copycat)
- Alfredo Pizza
- Pizza Dough Recipe
How To Make Pizza Hut Stuffed Crust Pizza:
Pizza Hut Stuffed Crust Pizza
- 16-inch perforated pizza pan
- Docker Wheel
- Pastry Brush
- 2/3 cup warm water
- 1 tsp dry active yeast
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp dry milk
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 2 cups flour
- 8 string cheeses (unwrapped)
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese (grated)
- 2 oz pepperoni
- 2 oz purple onion (sliced)
- 2 oz mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 oz green bell peppers (sliced)
- Make the Pizza Dough: Combine the wet ingredients in the bowl of a Kitchen Aid mixer. Knead in the flour over low for 5 minutes. Shape into a ball and place into a greased bag. Refrigerate overnight.
- To Assemble Stuffed Crust Pizza: allow the dough to rest at room temperature for 5 minutes. Roll the dough out to a 16-inch circle. Place the string cheese around the edge leaving a 1-inch border. Wrap dough over the string cheese and pinch down to seal.
- Run a docker wheel over the dough reaching the crust.
- Spread the pizza with marinara sauce and top with the pizza toppings.
- Brush the crust with cooking oil and bake on the bottom rack of a pre-heated 500°F oven for 7-9 minutes or until golden and done.
- Brush the crust with additional oil right out of the oven. Serve.