This mushroom rice is super easy and delicious! All made in one-pot and so much flavor! It’s a family favorite!
My mother-in-law discovered this mushroom rice recipe in an old English cookbook and we have been making this tasty rice dish ever since. I was intimated by the amount of oil here but after proven trials of this dish that all disappeared. This has got to be one of the tastiest mushroom and rice combinations that I’ve ever tried and it’s so easy!
It’s a meatless rice pilaf but if you like meat with your rice try this hearty meat Plov recipe!
How to make Mushroom Rice:
Easy Mushroom Rice Recipe
Ingredients for Mushroom Rice:
- 24 oz mushrooms
- 3 carrots chopped into chunks
- 1 onion diced
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 2 cups rice
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp Mrs. Dash seasoning
- 1 tsp paprika
How to make easy mushroom rice:
- Fry the mushrooms, carrots and onions with the oil in a deep frying pan for 10 minutes over medium high heat.
- Stir the rice and seasonings in.
- Add the water and then bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer the rice over low heat for 30 minutes.
Nutrition per serving
Products to use:
What seasonings work good with rice?
All purpose seasonings work well, especially ones like Vegeta or Mrs. Dash due to the addition of dehydrated vegetables (more flavor). However you can make your own spice combinations using spices like lemon pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, celery seed, paprika, cayenne pepper marjoram and so much more!
Can I add chicken to the rice?
Yes! Chicken works so well in this rice recipe, especially for the people that aren’t mushroom eaters. Just use one large chicken breast in place of the mushrooms!
Whats the perfect water to rice ratio?
I have a dedicated post in how to make the perfect rice (shared by someone who hosts constantly, she literally has the recipe on her cupboard door!) But I’ve found that the best proportion of water to rice is 3 1/2 cups of water to 2 cups of rice makes the perfect rice every time!
- To make-ahead, have all the veggies sliced and chopped and keep refrigerated until making this dish.
- Add chicken pieces to the mushrooms when sautéing.
- To keep warm for an event, toss everything into a crock pot and set over low heat until serving.
- Swap out for brown rice, only increase cooking time by 10 minutes.