Alice Springs Chicken is a honey-mustard smothered chicken recipe from the Outback Steakhouse Restaurant! Make it from scratch! Seasoned chicken breasts are topped with a honey mustard sauce, bacon, cheese, and mushrooms if you wish! Simply divine!
Love Outback Steakhouse? Try some of our other favorites that you can make right at home, like the Broccoli and Cheese side or signature Outback Bread Rolls!
Alice Springs Chicken Recipe
This easy recipe for Alice Spring’s Chicken was inspired by a Pinterest find for the Outback Steakhouse Alice Springs Chicken. A former employee has commented on the post sharing the honey mustard sauce, which, lead me to experiment more since she didn’t know the ratio but mentioned some helpful clues. I then recreated the sauce based on her notes. A must-try recipe if you love Outback Chicken!
What is Alice Spring’s Chicken?
Alice Spring’s Chicken is one of Outback’s Steakhouse chicken dishes. The dinner entree includes chicken breasts topped with sauteed mushrooms, bacon, melted Monterey Jack and Cheddar cheese, honey mustard sauce, and Aussie fries. It’s one of Outback’s favorites menu items and for a reason (simply delicious!) Serve with homestyle mashed potatoes or a baked potato, as I’ve plated.
Why is it called Alice Springs Chicken?
Alice Springs Chicken is the name the founders of the Outback Steakhouse restaurant were inspired by. Which is, an Australian theme, hence the Alice Spring’s town in Australia and Joey menu (young kangaroo for children’s menu.)
How Does Outback Marinade the Chicken For Alice Springs Chicken?
I come to believe Restaurants go the easy route when it comes to cooking per order. According to their menu, Grilled chicken breasts are topped with sauteed mushrooms, crisp bacon, melted Monterey Jack and Cheddar, and honey mustard sauce. The description notes nothing of marinating the chicken in a honey mustard sauce or if it is grilled with it. To me, it seems like everything is just layered.
However, just because the chicken isn’t grilled with a mustard sauce doesn’t mean the chicken itself isn’t juicy in the first place. I do think the chicken comes pre-injected with a water solution for tender chicken pieces and do encourage my fail-proof quick meat tenderizer using baking soda for moist results!
How To Make Honey Mustard Sauce Like Outback?
A former Outback Steakhouse employee shared how the honey mustard sauce was made. She said it was mostly mayo then honey until it was opaque and dijon mustard to taste until it tasted right. I used stone-ground mustard however, I still tried to make it opaque based on her description.
What Kind of Mustard Should I use?
Outback used Dijon mustard (Grey Poupon.) I used stone-ground mustard with fantastic results!
Tips for Alice Spring Chicken Dinner:
- Make my oven-baked freezer bacon recipe for a huge shortcut!
- Slice the Monterey Jack cheese instead of using grated cheese it won’t dry out as quickly.
- Use drained and pre-sliced mushrooms from a can!
- Serve with a microwaved Baked Potato (dinner will be so fast!)
Other Chicken Dinners To Try:
- Chicken Piccata Olive Garden Copycat Recipe
- Sizzling Chicken and Cheese (TGI Friday’s Copycat)
- Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Instant Pot Mississippi Chicken
How To Make Alice Springs Chicken (Outback Copycat):
Alice Springs Chicken (Outback Copycat)
- non-stick frying pan
- 9x13 baking dish
Alice Spring's Chicken
- 4 chicken breasts (horizontally sliced in half)
- 6 slices of cooked bacon
- 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese
Honey Mustard Sauce:
- 1/3 cup mayo
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 2 tsp stone-ground mustard
How To Make Alice Springs Chicken:
- Season both sides of chicken breasts with salt, pepper, and paprika. Brown on both sides in a few tbsp of oil. Transfer to a 9x13 baking dish.
- Make the honey mustard sauce and spread it over each chicken breast. Then top with cheese and bacon.
- Bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes. Serve with additional honey mustard sauce.
- Mushrooms- I've omitted the mushrooms, sautee 1 cup of white button mushrooms in 1 tbsp of oil if desired, or use a small can of drained mushrooms.
- Quick Meat Tenderizer- marinade chicken breasts with 1 1/2 tsp of baking soda, 2 tbsp vinegar, and 1 tsp salt. Pour in enough cold water to cover the chicken and let sit for 20 minutes. This makes super tender chicken!