The EASIEST Stove-top Mac and cheese! LITERALLY! Only 3-ingredients and all made in one pot to bring to you an ultra-creamy, cheesy, and delicious mac and cheese dinner in under 20 minutes! Can’t beat that and it’s kid-friendly!
This mac and cheese is ridiculously easy! Everything is made in one pot and no draining involved, (the pasta just seeps in the liquid!) When you’re in a rush to get dinner on the table there’s no time for homemade cheese sauce and a fancy panko topping or baked mac and cheese in that matter! This stovetop version requires only 3-ingredients and enough time for the pasta to cook through! It was a random creation when I decided to make stovetop mac and cheese in one-pot without draining or adding cream later! Many of my Instagram followers voted for a post when I shared this in my stories and here it is!
Love Easy Cheesy pasta recipes? Check out my one-pot Alfredo or garlicky one-pot Angel Hair pasta recipe!
How To make the Easiest Stovetop Mac and Cheese:
Stovetop Mac and Cheese
Mac and Cheese
- 1 lb Shell pasta
- 6 cups half and half
- 8 oz Cheez Whiz
How To Make EASIEST Stovetop Mac and Cheese:
- In a large pot, bring half and half to a boil. Add the pasta and cook over medium-hi heat uncovered for 13 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the cheez whiz and continue simmering an addtional 2 minutes, stirring. Turn off and allow mac and cheese to sit and thicken 5 minutes. DELICIOUS!
- Bring a thin layer of water to a boil before adding the half and half, it'll help with a scorching bottom.
- Can use elbow macaroni for shells.
Nutrition per serving
What is the best pasta for mac and cheese?
Small-medium sized shaped noodles are the best! Pastas like elbow, cavatappi, or bow tie pasta, can soak up cheesy sauce better which makes it perfect for mac and cheese!
What’s the best way to make macaroni and cheese?
How much time you have should really be the question! Mac and cheese can be done in many different forms, baked, stovetop, instant pot, you name it and they can all be tasty! However, the quickest ways can come in the handiest, especially if you’re serving dinner in a rush! There are two ways I make my mac and cheese; with cheez whiz on the stovetop or baking Macaroni and cheese. The oven version takes 1 1/2 hours but so worth it! So it’s really a matter of time and the quickest is usually best!
How can I revive or reheat my mac and cheese?
Simply reheat with a good splash of cream or milk to get mac and cheese looking fresh again!
How many servings does 1 lb of pasta serve?
One pound of pasta can serve 4 adult-sized servings or 6 medium servings. Servings can vary from children to adults, thus this is just an approximate number.
How much liquid should I use for cooking my pasta in one pot without draining?
I’ve found 3 cups of liquid to 1/2 lb of pasta works best for one-pot pasta meals that require no draining.
Can I make a homemade cheese sauce instead?
Cheez Whiz is a shortcut in making homemade mac and cheese. However, if you wish to make a homemade cheese sauce too, it can be done, only omit a cup of liquid for each cup of homemade cheese sauce that is to be added.
- Scorching Tip: Bring a thin layer of water to a boil before adding the milk or cream!
- Add some freshly grated cheese at the end instead of allowing the pasta to sit, this will instantly thicken it!
- Simply reheat with a good splash of cream or milk to get mac and cheese looking fresh again!
- Garnish with crushed bbq chips for crunch!