These Stuffed Mushrooms have a creamy cheese sauce and a secret ingredient! If you get leftover stuffed cabbage filling you could use it here. Thanks to my creative mother in law who gave me the idea of making these stuffed mushrooms.
I decided to try them and am VERY pleased with the results. So next time you have some leftovers you now have an idea of how to use up that ground meat mixture. I highly advise you to try the cream sauce, which complements the mushrooms so well. Try it out and let me know if you have any creative tips on how to use up that golubtsi filling. Enjoy!
So let’s begin…
Ingredients for Stuffed Mushrooms:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Wash and carefully remove the stems from the mushrooms. Fill each mushroom cap tightly with the leftover filling from golubtsi and bake in the oven for 15 min.
Meanwhile, prepare the cheese cream sauce. Melt 1 1/2 tbsp of butter in a small saucepan add 1 1/2 tbsp of flour, 1/4 tsp of garlic salt, a pinch of salt, and a pinch of white or black pepper (I used white ground pepper). Whisk roux on low heat and slowly add 1/2 cup of heavy cream, 1/2 tbsp of sour cream, 1/8 cup of Mozzarella cheese, 1 slice of swiss cheese cut into little pieces, and 1 oz of cream cheese. Stir with a whisk until melted and add 1/4 cup of water. Keep stirring until you have a very smooth and runny consistency.
Finally, arrange mushroom caps on platter and drizzle cream sauce over the mushrooms. Enjoy!
Stuffed Mushrooms With a Cheese Cream Sauce
- 1 24 oz of large mushrooms
- 2 cups of left over golubtsi filling which is a blend of cooked rice, ground meat and a sauté mixture
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- pinch of salt
- pinch of white ground pepper or black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp sour cream
- 1/8 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 oz cream cheese
- 1 slice of swiss cheese diced
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Wash and remove the stems from the mushrooms (you can discard the stems).
- Fill each mushroom cap with the leftover golubtsi filling tightly.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt 1 1/2 tbsp of butter in a small saucepan and add 1 1/2 tbsp of flour, 1/4 tsp of garlic salt, a pinch of white pepper, and a pinch of salt. Continue whisking for a few seconds and slowly add 1/2 cup of heavy cream whisking as you pour in and then add 1/2 tbsp of sour cream, 1/8 cup of mozzarella cheese, 1 slice of swiss cheese diced, and 1 oz of cream cheese.
- Keep whisking until cheeses melt (sauce will be thick at this point).
- Add water and continue whisking until smooth and runny.
- Arrange mushroom capos on a serving platter and drizzle with cheese cream sauce.