Stuffed Mushrooms are very easy to make. Have you ever made stuffed golubtsi (stuffed cabbage rolls) and had left over filling after you rolled all your cabbage rolls? Well, apparently the filling for golubtsi (which is usually a blend of rice, ground meat, and a sauté mixture), makes for a delicious stuffed mushroom recipe. Thanks to my creative mother in law who gave me the idea of making these stuffed mushrooms.
I decided to try them and am VERY pleased with the results. So next time you have some left overs you now have an idea of how to use up that ground meat mixture. I highly advise you to try the cream sauce, which complements the mushrooms so well. Try it out and let me know if you have any creative tips on how to use up that golubtsi filling. Enjoy!
So lets begin…
Ingredients for Stuffed Mushrooms:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Wash and carefully remove the stems from the mushrooms. Fill each mushroom cap tightly with the left over filling from golubtsi and bake in the oven for 15 min.
Meanwhile, prepare the cheese cream sauce. Melt 1 1/2 tbsp of butter in a small saucepan add 1 1/2 tbsp of flour, 1/4 tsp of garlic salt, pinch of salt, and pinch of white or black pepper (I used white ground pepper). Whisk roux on low heat and slowly add 1/2 cup of heavy cream, 1/2 tbsp of sour cream, 1/8 cup of Mozzarella cheese, 1 slice of swiss cheese cut into little pieces and 1 oz of cream cheese. Stir with whisk until melted and add 1/4 cup of water. Keep stirring until you have a very smooth and runny consistency.
Finally, arrange mushroom caps on platter and drizzle cream sauce over the mushrooms. Enjoy!
- 1 24oz of large mushrooms
- 2 cups of left over golubtsi filling (which is a blend of cooked rice, ground meat and a sauté mixture)
- ¼ tsp garlic salt
- pinch of salt
- pinch of white ground pepper (or black pepper)
- ½ tbsp sour cream
- ⅛ cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 oz cream cheese
- 1 slice of swiss cheese, diced
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Wash and remove the stems from the mushrooms (you can discard the stems).
- Fill each mushroom cap with the left over golubtsi filling tightly.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile melt 1½ tbsp of butter in a small saucepan and add 1½ tbsp of flour, ¼ tsp of garlic salt, pinch of white pepper and pinch of salt. Continue whisking for a few seconds and slowly add ½ cup of heavy cream whisking as you pour in and then add ½ tbsp of sour cream, ⅛ cup of mozzarella cheese, 1 slice of swiss cheese diced and 1 oz of cream cheese.
- Keep whisking until cheeses melt (sauce will be thick at this point).
- Add water and continue whisking until smooth and runny.
- Arrange mushroom capos on a serving platter and drizzle with cheese cream sauce.