Bistro-style Egg Sandwich with scrambled eggs, grainy mustard, Calabrian mayo, pickled red onions, and arugula, all stuffed in a toasted brioche bun. This egg sandwich recipe was a recreation of a Cafe sandwich I tried. It’s so easy to make including the amazing egg sandwich sauce!
Make these egg sandwich recipes anytime of the day not just breakfast! We love this bagel egg sandwich, Croissant egg sandwich and pepper and egg sandwich (simply fill into French bread.) We also love making our own bagels, English muffins, and biscuits for all our morning bread needs!
Egg Sandwich Recipe:
When at a bloggers retreat, I discovered this egg sandwich at a cafe in downtown Nashville named “Steadfast Coffee.” Their egg sandwich was with scrambled eggs (cooked more like an egg omelet), grainy mustard, Calabrian mayo (mayonnaise with Italian peppers grown in the Calabria region of Italy), arugula greens, and pickled onions all inside a toasted brioche bun.
It was one of the best egg sandwiches I had, bursting with pungent flavors from the pickled onions and sauces, stuffed into a sweet bun, and completed with the egg and cheese! As big as it looked the whole sandwich was gone and I still felt light afterward. These would be perfect for brunch ideas and leftovers reheat great, not to mention how appealing they look! I even have a make-ahead tip for the eggs if you want to feed a crowd!
What is Calabrian Mayo?
Calabrian mayo is basically mayonnaise with Italian Calabrian chili peppers. They’re milder than cayenne peppers and are also known as the hot Calabrian Chile pepper, Small Red Cherry pepper, and Peperone Picante Calabrese, which translates to “spicy pepper of Calabria.” The best substitute for crushed Calabrian chili peppers is this Cherry Pepper Spread. These Italian peppers are medium-hot, sweet, and vinegary perfect for a sandwich spread! You can buy cherry peppers at Publix and if you locate the whole ones simply chop them up at home, you’ll need the pickled variety for their tart taste in the sauce.
Can I Use Different Bread?
A brioche bun is a light and sweet yeast bread roll perfect for this egg sandwich. It’s more enriched than a hamburger bun and is sweeter and darker in color. Steadfast cafe uses brioche buns to make their egg sandwich. The best brioche bun substitute is challah bread or Hawaiian sweet bread.
Pro-Tips for Making Scrambled Eggs:
This egg sandwich calls for an omelette-style scrambled egg patty. This means you prepare the eggs by beating them with a little liquid and then gently cooking it like you would an omelette folded it over as a patty, not as bits of scrambled eggs. This method makes a firm egg patty that stays together yet is super fluffy. Typically, I cook my eggs in a small frying pan with 2 beaten eggs at a time but a tip to do it all in one shot is to beat the eggs in liquid, then pour it into 12x8-inch pan. This is a genius hack for baked eggs and is perfect for a crowd or meal prep!
All of the ingredients for this egg sandwich can be purchased at a grocery store, with the exception that you’ll be using cherry peppers instead of Calabrian peppers. Since both are similar and pickled you will still get that tartness from either peppers, just the Calabrian peppers will have to be purchased online, whereas cherry peppers are available in some major grocery stores.
- Scrambled eggs- beating the eggs with liquid then cooking it like an omelette will give you a super fluffy egg patty. It seems like the cafe serves it with a boiled egg (poached) now.
- Grainy Mustard- I use the stone ground mustard from Walmart that is still grainy and spreadable.
- Arugula- is a baby salad green that can be found in the lettuce section at a grocery store.
- Pickled Onions- are super easy to make with this simple brine. If you don’t have the time to make pickled red onions, just toss them in apple cider vinegar for tangy onions.
- Swiss Cheese- baby Swiss, gouda, or Havarti cheese are all cheeses that can be added to this sandwich.
Note: add-ins like crispy bacon or a smashed avocado can be added to this sandwich for more flavor.
How To Make Egg Sandwich:
This is an easy sandwich recipe with quick prep and fast cooking time. Cook the beaten eggs in a small pan 2 eggs at a time or bake all the eggs in this 12x8 pan as to not stand over the stove top. You can meal prep and make ahead the mayo with chili peppers the day before as well as the eggs.
- Make the Calabrian Mayonnaise by whisking the mayo with crushed chili peppers (Calabrian chili peppers or cherry peppers.) Set aside and refrigerate.
- Toast the brioche buns.
- Cook the scrambled eggs like an omelet and flip over and finish cooking the other side until done. Transfer onto a plate using a spatula and repeat 2 more times to make 3 omelettes in total (we will cut each omelet in half to make a single patty.)
- Divide each scrambled egg omelet in half and fold over each piece to make an egg patty.
- Make egg sandwiches: spread stone ground mustard on the bottom bun, then top with arugula, egg patty, and pickled onions. Spread the Calabrian mayo over the top bun and place a slice of Swiss cheese over the top. Microwave the top bun with cheese for 10 seconds over high. Place it over the sandwich and enjoy!
Note: you can make this egg and cheese sandwich like you would a fried egg sandwich, it’ll still be as delish!
What To Serve with Egg Sandwiches?
This egg sandwich is so good on its own but here’s how to make these into a complete meal!
- Serve with slices of oranges or fruit cups
- Fill up the plate with a side salad of mixed greens in a light olive oil and vinegar dressing.
- Serve with a sweet pastry.
- With a side of fried potatoes or hash browns
How To Cook Scrambled Egg Patties for Breakfast Sandwiches?
How to make eggs for breakfast sandwiches? There are many ways to cook an egg for an egg sandwich, fried whole, scrambled, baked in a ramekin, or mold. However, this is how to cook a scrambled egg patty in a pan, that’s between scrambled eggs and an omelet.
Start by beating the eggs well with the liquids using a wire whisk, pour into a hot skillet and gently glide the eggs towards the center using a rubber spatula until curds begin to form. Turn the heat to low and cover the pan with a lid for 1 minute. Uncover the pan and use the rubber spatula to loosen the edges of the egg omelet, flip and cook another 30 seconds or until done. Remove and cut in half, now you can fold over each piece and use for your egg sandwich!
Tips for Making an Egg Sandwich:
- Make this a bacon egg and cheese sandwich by adding 1 slice of bacon (halved) to each sandwich.
- I like to season my scrambled eggs with ground black pepper before flipping (preferably when still wet so the seasoning can adhere.)
- This breakfast egg sandwich can be made with tart baby dill pickles instead of pickled onions. Although, I highly recommend the egg and onion sandwich!
- Turn it into an avocado egg sandwich by smashing half of an avocado and adding it in.
- Broil the insides of your buns in the oven for a toasting hack!
- Prepare and pour all of the eggs into a greased brownie pan and bake it for 15-20 minutes! Then slice it into 6 squares for your egg patties!
- Don’t have Italian chili peppers to make the Calabrian mayo? You can substitute roasted bell peppers, with a dash of paprika and cayenne pepper. Just add 1 Tbsp of vinegar to the peppers to make them tangy.
- Opt for a healthy whole grain bread option by looking for whole wheat brioche buns, Aldi sells them.
How To Make an Egg Sandwich:
- 1 small frying pan (8-inch pan)
- 1 Spatula
- 1 Wire Whisk (to beat eggs)
- 1 small mixing bowl
- 1 cast- iron pan (to toast buns)
- 6 brioche buns (toasted)
- 6 slices Swiss cheese
- 1 Tbsp stone ground mustard (divided)
- 1 Tbsp sunflower oil (for cooking eggs)
- 6 eggs
- 3 Tbsp half and half
- 3 Tbsp water
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup crushed Calabrian chili peppers (or cherry pepper spread)
- 1/2 tsp stone ground mustard
- 1/2 tsp cane sugar
- Make Sauce: Whisk together the Calabrian Mayo ingredients and refrigerate sauce until needed.
- Toast Buns: Preheat a cast-iron skillet until hot, then toast the Brioche buns face done until charred.
- Cook Eggs: preheat a small 8-inch pan with a teaspoon of oil. Beat 2 eggs with 1 Tbsp water, and 1 Tbsp of half and half. Pour into the skillet and gently scrap eggs into the middle using a rubber spatula. Reduce the heat to low and cover with a lid for the eggs to set. Flip and cook until done. Remove and repeat two more times.
- Divide each scrambled egg patty in half and fold over.
- Make the Egg Sandwiches: assemble sandwiches; spread 1/2 tsp of stone ground mustard on the bottom of each bun, top with arugula, egg patty, and pickled onions. Spread 1 Tbsp of the Calabrian mayo over the top bun and top with cheese.
- Microwave top bun for 10 seconds over high then place it over sandwich and serve!