This is how to make fried rice easy! This Shrimp Fried Rice Recipe is tossed with vegetables, shrimp, and chicken to make a Chinese-style stir fry that will amaze you! Learn all the shortcuts and helpful tips to make fried rice like a pro!
Shrimp Fried Rice
This is how to make shrimp fried rice Natalya’s way! That’s right one of my Instagram friends struck a discussion over Chinese food after posting a clip of making my Orange Chicken Recipe and let me just say her fried rice is the best I’ve had in a long time!
We got into talking about sides to the sweet chicken and she had mentioned how her husband doesn’t like white rice but how he loves her fried rice. Which, I understand because if you try this Chinese Shrimp Fried Rice, you’ll know exactly why!
Further ado, she shared how this 90-second rice was a lifesaver and that it’s only around a buck from Aldi! If you don’t have par-cooked rice just use a scant 2 cups of cooked rice for this recipe. I love how shared recipes can become favorites! Comment below for other cooks to get the best tips!
Ingredients For Shrimp Fried Rice:
- Aldi carries 8 oz packages of Basmati or Jasmine 90-second microwavable white rice packets. I used two 8 oz packets of Jasmine rice.
- Soy sauce and Sweet Chili Sauce (MAE PLOY Brand) is the secret ingredient behind this fried rice. The chili sauce is perfectly sweet with a little kick. A few tablespoons will season the whole pan and will eliminate the need for extra seasonings!
- I used a 12 oz bag of medium cooked 71/90 shrimp that I bought from Aldi. Cooked shrimp is easy to cook as you only need to heat them through. I also like the shells on the tail.
- No need for thawing frozen veggies, I just threw in the frozen peas and corn. Feel free to use a mixed vegetable blend or other veggies like edamame, bean sprouts, and mushrooms.
- Protein from the eggs and chicken makes this full meal of its self.
- If you have fresh scallions or green onions use them instead of a diced onion.
Note: add crushed garlic and ginger if not using the sweet chili sauce.
Shortcuts For Making Fried Rice:
Want to make the perfect fried rice? It actually comes together best with cold leftover rice. The rice kernels harden after being refrigerated which helps from the rice turning into mush once frying. Here are some huge shortcuts and tips:
- Shorten your cooking time by using a bag of cooked shrimp that you can just thaw in the water while you prep other ingredients.
- Use mixed frozen vegetables and skip the chopping!
- 90-second microwavable rice is already pre-cooked and ready to throw into a hot pan.
- Leftover meat like grilled chicken or beef will fasten the cooking process.
What Is Fried Rice?
Fried rice is a great dish to use up leftover rice and veggies! With Chinese-inspired flavors, this one-pan dinner is sure to please a crowd! Add extra protein by adding chicken breast pieces (or chicken thighs) and shrimp.
Even if you are on a gluten-free diet you can enjoy this dish by substituting Tamari soy sauce or Coconut Aminos if you are soy-sensitive.
Shrimp Fried Rice Ingredients?
- Chicken breasts- boneless and skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Shrimp- cooked or raw shrimp can be used for fried rice. Raw shrimp would have to be cooked separately and frozen shrimp could be tossed towards the end of the stir-fry to heat through.
- Rice-any medium or long grain rice can be used for fried rice such as Basmati or Jasmine rice.
- Vegetables- like corn, peas, onion, and carrots work best for fried rice.
- Eggs- scramble 2 eggs right into the hot pan, you don’t have to be an egg fried rice pro to master it:)
- Sauce- I used Kikkoman soy sauce and sweet chili sauce to flavor the chicken and shrimp fried rice.
Note: use sesame oil to infuse the fried rice with Asian flavors. I used sunflower oil for frying everything it’s a healthy option.
How To Make Fried Rice?
To make shrimp and chicken fried rice follow these easy stir fry instructions. You will learn how to cook fried rice like a pro!
- First, heat a Wok or pan over high heat.
- Meanwhile prep all the ingredients. If using frozen shrimp thaw them in cold water.
- Pour 2 Tablespoons of oil into the hot pan and fry the veggies first (peas, corn, carrots, and onion.) Remove with a slotted spoon into a bowl.
- In the same pan add 2 T of oil and fry the chicken (if using raw shrimp fry it with the chicken otherwise add the cooked shrimp towards the end.) Set aside.
- Add another 2 T of oil and crack two eggs into the same pan. Scramble briefly with a slotted spoon until cooked. Remove and add 3 T of oil.
- Add the rice and fry for a minute or two. Then add the remaining ingredients including the sauces and shrimp.
What Rice To Use?
Use any medium or long-grain rice like basmati or Jasmine. They work best in a fried rice dish vs short-grain rice which tends to be sticky. Leftover rice is typically what Chinese restaurants use, however, par-cooked rice packets work too. If you’re stuck with neither then cook your favorite white rice and let it cool uncovered for several hours.
Can I Use Chicken Thighs?
I used skinless boneless chicken breast meat however, chicken thighs will work great for!
Storing Fried Rice?
The first time we made this we had NO leftovers (it is that good!) But if you have fewer people in the house store any leftovers in an airtight container. Fried rice should keep in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Can You Freeze Fried Rice?
If you want to freeze fried rice, fry the meat and eggs; cool. Do not fry the veggies or cooked rice. Stir everything together including 6 T of oil and freeze in a gallon-sized bag. Keep frozen for up to 2 months.
How to reheat fried rice: fried rice can be reheated in the microwave for up to 5 minutes or in a skillet for about 10 minutes over medium heat.
Best Tips For Making Fried Rice:
- Use Day Old rice or par-cooked rice packets, the idea is to have fall-apart rice that won’t clump into a sticky mass. If all you have is uncooked rice, cook it then cool uncovered for several hours so the rice dries out.
- Always cook fried rice over HIGH heat at ALL times, never lower the temperature because that is how you get the best-fried rice and a nice brown hue!
- Cook the vegetables, meat, and eggs separately. Overcrowding the pan will steam all the ingredients rather than searing.
- Lower the calories by using a healthy oil and long-grain brown rice.
- Cooked Shrimp can be added with the rice towards the end, if using raw shrimp fry it with the chicken.
Tools To Make The Best Shrimp Fried Rice Recipe:
- Microwavable Jasmine Rice- ready to unpackage and throw into a hot pan.
- Cast-Iron Wok– perfect for making fried rice or you can use a large skillet.
- Slotted Spoon– to remove the ingredients from the pan easily.
- Sweet Chili Sauce- forget the spices if you use this all-in-one sauce!
- Kikkoman Soy Sauce- the exact one that I used.
More Chinese-Inspired Recipes:
- Teriyaki Chicken Fried Rice Recipe
- Fried Rice Recipe
- Chinese Chicken Fingers
- General Tso’s Chicken Recipe
- Crab Rangoon Recipe
- EASY Orange Chicken Recipe
How To Make Shrimp Fried Rice:
Shrimp Fried Rice
- 1 Wok or large pan
- 1 slotted spoon
- 18 oz cooked rice (2 cups or two 8.8oz microwaveable Jasmine rice packets)
- 2 chicken breasts (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 12 oz cooked shrimp
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup carrots (1 peeled and diced)
- 1/2 onion (diced)
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp Sweet Chili Sauce (Mae Ploy brand)
- 2 eggs
- Heat skillet or Wok over high heat. Pour 2 Tablespoons of oil and fry all the vegetables for 2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- In the same pan add 2 Tbsp of oil and fry the chicken until done (4-5 minutes.) Remove and set aside.
- Add another 2 Tbsp of oil and crack 2 eggs into the pan. Scramble using a slotted spoon and remove.
- Pour 3 Tbsp of oil into the pan and fry the rice for 1-2 minutes. Add all the ingredients and sauces and stir fry until heated thoroughly.
- Use 2 cups of frozen mixed vegetables in place of all the veggies for a huge shortcut