This Blueberry Muffins Recipe makes 11/2 dozen of irresistibly soft and moist muffins bursting with fresh blueberries and a sugary-cinnamon crumb topping! A simple blueberry muffin recipe to make!
Muffins make a great mid-day snack, breakfast pastry, or dessert! Try our Chocolate Chunk Banana Muffins or mini Applesauce Muffins that are super-moist! And if that’s not enough, try our Strawberry Cheesecake Scones made with fresh strawberries!
This has been my go-to recipe for Blueberry muffins since I’ve discovered it some years ago. I’ve adopted these blueberry muffins from the “To Die For Blueberry Muffins” at allrecipes.com. The changes I’ve made resulted in a much fluffier muffin and a cinnamon sugar crust that wouldn’t drown the muffins but yet make a nice crumb. This is a simple Muffin recipe to use for over the top plump blueberry muffins.
This batch makes 1 1/2 dozen muffins and is actually freezable (tried it, it works!) Just pop them in the microwave for a quick defrost or leave at room temperature for a quick thaw! Freezing batches of baked blueberry muffins are also a great way for using an abundance of blueberries at once when blueberry season strikes.
My husband doesn’t care for the streusel sugar topping so you can easily make these plain or even try them with different berries! Turn these into deli-style muffins by using a large muffin tin instead of a standard-sized muffin pan and use frozen blueberries if you’re out of fresh. This recipe can easily be adapted for ingredients like buttermilk, almond extract, lemon extract, and etc..
How to Make Blueberry Muffins:
Blueberry Muffins Recipe
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 TBSP Baking Powder
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 pint blueberries
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 2 TBSP butter
How to Make Blueberry Muffins:
- Line 18 muffin cups with paper liners and preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Add in the wet ingredients and whisk just until flour is incorporated. Fold in blueberries and scoop batter up-to the top of the muffin liners.
- TO MAKE CRUMB TOPPING: stir together the sugars, cinnamon, and flour. Mash in the butter using a fork (or pastry cutter) until a crumbly texture forms. You have the right crumb constancy when you are able to make a clump from the topping.
- Sprinkle generously over the tops of the muffins (going back and packing more crumb topping if needed, to use up all the crumbs.)
- Bake for 28-35 minutes until nicely brown and plump. Cool in the muffin tin then remove.
Nutrition per serving
The Best Blueberry Muffins?
I’m adventurous in trying out new and better recipes but I find these to be a personal favorite thus far. If you have a recipe that you are confident in, please share I’d love to try it! However, this one seems to satisfy my muffin cravings quite well. Once you get the base down a muffin recipe can easily be swapped out for other fruits, like strawberries, peaches, and apples.
I will say these are easy to prepare, made with fresh blueberries, moist and fluffy, not dense, soft and tender, have big muffin tops, and have the perfect cinnamon Streusel crunchy topping! Just the perfect amount of brown sugar crunch!
How to Make Blueberry Muffins with Streusel Topping?
Blueberry muffins come together easily. It’s just a matter of combining the wet to dry ingredients then folding in the fresh blueberries.
- Whisk the dry ingredients: flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar.
- Mix in the wet ingredients: oil, eggs, and milk.
- Scoop batter into a muffin pan.
- Sprinkle the Streusel Topping: granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, flour, and butter.
- Bake the muffins.
This recipe is really easy and makes delicious blueberry muffins!
How to make Tall Bakery-Style Muffin Tops?
For big bakery-style muffin tops simply fill your muffin tins to the tops! If you really want a deli-style muffin use an extra-large muffin pan that holds 6 large muffins instead of a regular-sized muffin pan. Also, A baking tip I’ve learned is to bake bread and muffins on the lower rack of the oven for even browning.
Are Blueberry Muffins Healthy?
Not quite. But I will say the sugary Crumb Cinnamon topping has been reduced so it is slightly better-for-you. And Blueberries? A dessert doesn’t get any better than using fresh summer berries! However, if you want a healthy dessert try my Healthy Peanut Butter Cookies loaded with ground grains!
How to Freeze Blueberry Muffins?
To freeze muffins cool completely first. Then place into a single layer inside a gallon-sized freezer bag. Freeze for up to 3 months.
When ready to serve, thaw on the countertop or microwave on defrost mode until defrosted.
Can I add Vanilla Extract?
Vanilla extract isn’t needed to make blueberry muffins. The Cinnamon sugar topping is plenty of sweet and delicious on its own, but if you want the additional aroma of almonds, lemon or vanilla then add some flavoring.
- Use fresh blueberries. If using frozen don’t thaw simply stir them in frozen for a purple-free batter.
- Fill your muffins to the top of the muffin rims for tall big muffins.
- Bake in an extra-large muffin pan for bakery-style muffins.
- Skip the muffin liners and simply grease the muffin pan well.