This Costco Chicken Bake recipe tastes like the chicken bake you’d order at Costco! Homemade dough is wrapped around grilled chicken pieces, cheese, bacon, and creamy dressing! You don’t have to stand in line to get one anymore!
Costco Chicken Bake
Costco sells these Stromboli-style chicken bakes at their food courts and you can make them at home from scratch! The good thing is, you can mix and match and go with store-bought dough or make it all homemade! At our house, we roll and bake the dough but the dressing is store-bought! Take shortcuts where ever you need to!
As far as making chicken bakes at home, you can make your own grilled chicken pieces or even grate your own Italian cheese blend! You are the cook of the house and can calculate what it will cost you. For that reason, homemade pizza dough is easier to make, than running to the store for me. If you enjoy copycat recipes try our Panera Bread Frontega Chicken Panini or Outback Steakhouse Bread!
Homemade Pizza Dough
The dough for this Costco chicken bake is made from a homemade pizza dough recipe that was inspired by a New York Pizza maker who shared a 50 lb recipe in bakers percentages! I was able to scale down the recipe and added some sugar to create the closest Costco chicken Bake Copycat! I don’t know if anything gets closer to this! I’ve noticed that refrigerated pizza dough creates those surface bubbles you would see on the chicken bakes sold in the food court. If you make it at home, you at least have an idea on the nutrition, as you know what goes into your food! The dough is easy to make but requires fermentation. Feel free to cut the instructions of the whole homemade process and use store-bought pizza dough as the Kitchn did in their Costco chicken bake recipe.
How to make a Costco Chicken Bake:
Is a Costco Chicken Bake Healthy?
The Costco Chicken bakes are high in calories. However, if you know what’s going inside and making it from scratch then, perhaps that will be a healthier option. As far as nutrition, the Costco Chicken Bakes are high in Carbohydrates so if you are on a Keto diet you may want to pass.
Are Costco Chicken Bakes precooked?
Costco sells packaged frozen chicken bakes in limited locations. You can purchase the Costco chicken bakes directly from Costco’s website. If they sell them frozen, I am convinced they thaw and bake them in the kitchen daily.
What’s Inside the Costco Chicken Bake?
- Chicken- According to the ingredient label, Costco uses Chicken breast strips with rib meat and a water solution. To me, that sounds like freezer grilled chicken breast. Make your own freezer grilled chicken breast strips with this recipe.
- Bacon– Cured bacon. That’s obviously been cooked. Check out my ultimate favorite way to make freezer bacon.
- Cheese– Mozzarella, provolone and Parmesan cheeses are used among the cheeses. I’m assuming the Mozzarella and Provolone are used for the filling and the Parmesan could be used for the top. I personally only used Mozzarella for the filling and have used both Parmesan and Mozzarella for the top before. Final verdict; opt for Mozzarella for the top it creates a crustier top, whereas Parmesan is usually grated finer thus creating in finer texture on top. Or grate Parmesan cheese bigger to get bigger chunks of cheese on top.
- Caesars Dressing-Probably a creamy kind. Look for these ingredients because these are the exact ones from the ingredient list soybean oil, water, corn vinegar, parmesan cheese (partially skimmed milk, cheese culture, salt, enzymes), whole egg and egg yolks, salt, sugar, distilled vinegar, xanthan gum, anchovy, dehydrated garlic, lemon juice concentrate, dehydrated onion, sodium benzoate, artificial caramel color, calcium disodium EDTA.) I have used ranch dressing with excellent results so that can make for a great alternative if you are not a fan of the Caesars dressing.
- Green onions– They are claimed to be in the chicken bakes according to the ingredient list but I left them out. I can’t really recall a distinctive green onion flavor in the Costco versions so I don’t really think it’s crucial to have them.
Ingredients Needed to make them at Home:
- 1 1/2 cups chicken breast strips (freezer kind, thawed)
- 1 1/2 shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 4 strips of cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1/3 cup creamy Caesars dressing (could substitute creamy ranch)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
How do you make Costco Chicken Bakes at Home?
The chicken bakes from Costco are made from their signature dough and are filled with the classic chicken bake filling. The filling includes; chicken, bacon, cheese, a creamy Caesars dressing, and green onions. To replicate this at home, use a pizza dough, ready to use grilled chicken pieces, bacon bits, pre-grated cheese, prepared dressing, and onions if you have any, (they can be omitted.)
- Step 1: Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Step 2: Cut pizza dough into 4 equal pieces. Roll out each piece to an 11 by 8-inch rectangle. Set aside.
- Step 3: Combine all the filling ingredients, RESERVING 1/2 cup of mozzarella, 1/3 cup of parmesan cheese and 3 tbsp of creamy Caesars dressing for the topping.
- Step 4: Place 1 cup of filling across the center of each piece of dough. Slightly fold in the sides and start rolling dough from the bottom up. Pinch seams and place onto a greased pan.
- Step 5: Brush tops with reserved dressing and sprinkle with reserved cheeses. Bake 20 minutes on bottom rack.
How to Make Homemade Pizza Dough For Costco Chicken Bakes:
For a complete tutorial on the homemade pizza dough recipe I used for these Chicken Bakes, check out the clickable tutorial. Follow the recipe and use one portion from the recipe (recipe makes 4 pizzas.)
Can I use store-bought pizza dough?
Yes, store-bought pizza dough can be used if you don’t make the homemade pizza dough. However, I do think you’ll get more from making your own.
Can you freeze Homemade Chicken Bakes?
Since Costco sells frozen chicken bakes I do think it’s possible. Furthermore, it seems to me they are partially baked before being individually wrapped. So, if you’re making homemade dough, bake at a 10 minute period then cool and freeze. Baking time for frozen chicken bakes takes around 35 minutes in an oven and 4 minutes in the microwave coming from the freezer.
Tips for Chicken Bakes:
- Use store-bought pizza dough for homemade!
- Make your own Freezer Grilled Chicken Pieces!
- If you don’t have Caesars Dressing use ranch dressing!
- To serve a crowd make my Pizza Dough Recipe and quadruple the filling!
More Articles on Costco’s Food Court
Copycat Costco Chicken Bake Recipe
- 1 lb pizza dough
- 9 oz grilled chicken breast strips
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese divided
- 4 strips cooked bacon chopped
- 1/3 cup creamy Caesar dressing
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Pre-heat oven 450°F. Lightly grease a pizza pan. Cut the pizza dough into 4 equal pieces. Roll each piece into an 11x8-inch rectangle.
- Combine all the filling ingredients, RESERVING 1/2 cup of mozzarella, 1/3 cup of parmesan cheese and 3 Tbsp of Caesars dressing for the topping. Place 1 cup of filling across the center of each piece of dough.
- Fold in the sides and roll jelly-roll style pinching seams.
- Place all the Chicken bakes onto a pizza pan and brush tops with the reserved dressing and cheeses. Bake 20 minutes on bottom rack.
- Chicken breast pieces: I like to coarsely chop the ready to use Perdue chicken breast pieces from the bag as some chunks are huge.
- Use creamy ranch dressing in place of Caesars dressing.
- To freeze chicken Bakes: Follow the instructions given only reducing the baking time to 10 minutes. Cool completely then wrap each chicken bake in foil and freeze. To heat bake frozen in a preheated 400°F oven for 35-40 minutes or microwave on high for 4 minutes.
- For extra crisp Bottoms: brush bottoms with creamy dressing instead of oil.
Nutrition per serving