Tomato Avocado Toast is a family-favorite avocado and tomato sandwich! It makes a super creamy and garlicky filling that’s simply tasty in a sandwich, wrap, or salad! The perfect summer salad sandwich that can be topped over greens, spread over bread, or filled into wraps for a nutritious lunch or snack! It is the best avocado toast you probably ever had (and it’s super easy!)
Love Avocados? Try our Zesty Avocado Salad with Mushrooms or BLT Wraps with tomatoes and lettuce! Summertime is perfect for a Creamy Cucumber Tomato Salad! A corn tomato avocado salad is one to try, yet!
Avocado and Tomato
I wanted to name this recipe Avocado Tomato Salad–kind of like a chicken salad recipe only an avocado version. However, my husband thought it was confusing so, avocado tomato toast it is.
In addition, the avocado filling is a super creamy spread tossed in crushed garlic and mayonnaise. That’s it! Simple ingredients but super delicious! Moreover, I typically slice (Walmart’s) french baguette and just spread this avocado filling over the thickly cut bread slices, which requires no toasting for a quick snack. However, this time I had an Italian loaf that you finish off baking in the oven, just make sure you cool your toasted bread before topping it with the spread. In conclusion, the sandwiches will be tasty–toasted or untoasted.
They just make a great meal or addition to the table! I have made these on a whim for unexpected guests as tea sandwiches and have served them as an appealing appetizer. They are delicious for any time of the day– breakfast, brunch, snack, appetizer, lunch, or dinner!
The best part? Mayo is the all-purpose seasoning aside from fresh garlic. So you don’t have to squeeze lemon juice, add olive oil, or other seasonings or spices!
P.S. Beware these open-faced avocado sandwiches are mighty delicious and could be addictive!
If you thought this was an Avocado Toast recipe sprinkled with bagel seasoning–it’s not. It’s more like a creamy avocado salad with garlic. Make this avocado toast with egg if you wish or leave it as a spread with chips, but our family eats this mainly as Canapes (bread appetizer.)
My mother-in-law told me she makes these delicious avocado sandwiches, that I just had to try! This is one of the best tomato and avocado concoctions over bread! They are super easy too and be totally healthy eaten over whole grain bread. Do yourself a favor and make this toast!
Tomato Avocado Toast is mashed avocados with creamy mayonnaise and fresh garlic, juicy tomatoes, and freshly ground black pepper to top everything off about this sandwich!
What Avocado To Buy?
Most grocery stores carry Hass avocados. You want to pick up ripe avocados, avoid over-ripe avocados that are mushy as they can be bruised or browned inside. Look for avocados that are soft to the touch when gently squeezed. Avoid mushy avocados.
What’s the Best Bread For Avocado Toast?
I like to use a French Baguette or Italian Loaf. A whole-grain loaf or sourdough bread would make a healthier gut-friendly bread alternative.
How To Make Creamy Avocado Spread?
The secret to a creamy avocado filling is mayonnaise! When using mayo you don’t need lemon juice or vinegar since there is enough citric acid in the mayo itself. There is also no need to salt the avocados since there is salt in the mayo.
What Is Tomato Avocado Toast?
Avocado Toast is a flavorful open-faced sandwich made with mashed avocados. Some of the best-known toast variations include toppings like tomatoes or leafy greens. The basic ingredients of Avocado Toast are ripened mashed avocados and salt. The filling possibilities can include seafood, vegetables, and special drizzles of olive oil or balsamic vinegar. It takes little effort to prepare the filling. You can use guacamole if you’re in a rush.
Avocado Toast can be served any time of the day, including a savory brunch recipe. Serve it with a tossed salad for lunch or make it into an appetizer by cutting up small baguette slices for hors d’oeuvre. To serve these sandwiches for dinner fill with your favorite sandwich toppings and top with another slice of bread.
For a low-carb or gluten-free option, omit the bread and use it as a salad topping or in a gluten-free wrap.
Creamy Avocado Salad vs Avocado Toast:
Avocado toast is typically a mashed avocado, spread over bread slices. Creamy Avocado Salad is mixed with mayonnaise to make a heartier filling similar to a chicken salad. It is wonderful alone since the filling is seasoned with garlic and mayo.
Topping toast with mashed avocados calls for additional toppings for a flavorful sandwich. Although similar to a tuna salad, avocado salad is a creamy-based filling, whereas avocado toast is more of a topping.
How Is The Texture Avocado Toast?
Avocado is soft fruit when ripe. When it is mixed with mayo it makes for a creamy filling, which is paired best with a crunchy baguette or vegetables.
How To Make Tomato Avocado Toast From Scratch?
One of the easiest ways to make a healthy toast!
- Slice around a ripe avocado. Twist and remove the pit from the center of one half.
- Place the flesh into a bowl. Mash with a fork.
- Stir in the mayo and crushed garlic.
- Mound filling over sliced bread (toasted or untoasted.)
- Top with freshly sliced tomatoes and freshly ground black pepper.
What’s Is Avocado Toast? The main ingredients found in AT: mashed avocados, mayo, black pepper, garlic, and tomatoes.
Can I Make-Ahead?
This does not look appetizing after a day in the fridge. Avocados can brown easily, however, if you can get over the appearance they still taste great just slightly brown in some areas. Cover with plastic wrap or store in an airtight container to avoid further browning.
An Avocado Toast recipe has simple filling ingredients of mayo and garlic. The toppings can be adaptable to any fresh vegetables, meat, or drizzles. Here is what this recipe requires:
- Bread- toast a loaf or use an untoasted French Baguette. Slice the bread before assembling the canapes or sandwiches.
- Avocado- use ripened avocados. You know it’s ripe when it’s soft to the touch but not mushy (that’s overripened.)
- Fresh Garlic- crush a clove of garlic.
- Mayo- I used Hellman’s mayo.
- Tomatoes- Roma, bush steak, or on the vine tomatoes will all work.
- Black Pepper- freshly ground black pepper over the tops before serving. This makes a beautiful toast!
Basic avocado toast consists of mashed avocados and seasoning. Here is how to make Avocado Toast Variations with my garlic take on avocado toast:
Breakfast Variation: place a cooked egg over the top of your avocado spread and top with your favorite breakfast toppings (crispy bacon, green onions, or cucumbers!)
Everything Bagel Avocado Toast: top your favorite toasted bagels with a generous amount of this avocado spread or sprinkle your favorite everything bagel seasoning blend over the top!
Seafood Toast: top with cooked shrimp or crabmeat, chopped red bell pepper, and a drizzle of melted butter!
Leafy Toast: arrange chopped spinach, fresh cilantro, arugula leaves, or leafy lettuce over the toast with a drizzle of olive oil or balsamic vinegar. Don’t forget the tomatoes!
Tomato Basil Toast: is like your favorite Caprese salad made with fresh mozzarella, torn basil leaves, and thick balsamic vinegar glaze drizzled over your avocado toast.
Mushroom Toast: 1 cup sliced and sautéed mushrooms, 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, and 1/2 teaspoon dried basil.
Cafe-Style Avocado Toast: spread a mound of garlic avocado over toast and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, red pepper flakes, and salt.
Vegetable Toast: top with crunchy radishes, scallions, seeds, cucumbers, and leafy greens!
Pesto Feta Toast: Spread a layer of pesto sauce, then the avocado mixture. Finally, top with cilantro, garlic, chopped tomato, extra virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper and finish with feta cheese crumbles!
Storing: Store avocados in the vegetable bin of the refrigerator. If avocados are firm, remove them and keep them on the counter for a day or two for the avocados to ripen (they should be soft to the touch.)
Ripened avocados from the store can be used immediately or placed in the refrigerator to stop further ripening.
How To Make Healthy Avocado Toast?
Use a whole grain loaf of bread for a healthy alternative.
Tips for Avocado Toast:
- Add more garlic by rubbing a garlic clove over the skins of your toast or add garlic powder.
- Green herbs or lettuce leaves add a fresh summer vibe! Top your avocado sandwich with sprigs of arugula or fresh cilantro.
- Put an egg over your avocado toast! Poach, scramble, or fry your eggs! Eggs make it a breakfast packed with protein!
- Top it with pickled onions, radishes, additional spices, or spicy jalapenos!
Tools to Make Avocado Toast:
- John Boos Cutting Board in Maple
- Victorinox Swiss Army Knife– my favorite all-purpose knives! The serrated blades are especially awesome for slippery foods like tomatoes and avocados!
- Garlic Press– I love OXO products! I own their potato peeler too!
More Avocado Recipes:
- Simple Guacamole Recipe
- Caterpillar Roll (How to Make an Avocado Topping for Sushi)
- Avocado Spread
- Salmon Avocado Canapés
- Avocado Bacon and Ranch Wraps (Avocado BLT Recipe)
How To Make Tomato Avocado Toast:
Tomato Avocado Toast
- fork or potato masher
- 1 avocado (ripe)
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- black pepper to taste
- 1 French or Italian Baguette (sliced)
How To Make Tomato Avocado Toast:
- Slice around a ripe avocado. Twist and remove the pit from the center of one half. Place the flesh into a bowl.
- Mash with a fork. Stir in the mayo and crushed garlic.
- Mound the filling over sliced bread (toasted or untoasted.)Top with freshly sliced tomatoes and freshly ground black pepper.
- Bread: use any whole grain loaf or baguette. Make sure you cool toasted bread slices before topping with filling.